You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 15:14:29

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

owlman is a pacman and cower wrapper focused on simplicity.

Last edited by bloom (2013-12-16 17:44:54)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#2 2011-12-12 01:08:16

TheShadowFog
Member
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 21
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Nice! but you should make it detect what shell you are using.

edit:
add this to the beginning of the owl script:

shellx=`echo $SHELL`
#!$shellx

smile

Last edited by TheShadowFog (2011-12-12 01:24:24)

Offline

#3 2011-12-12 02:18:26

falconindy
Developer
From: New York, USA
Registered: 2009-10-22
Posts: 4,109
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

TheShadowFog wrote:

Nice! but you should make it detect what shell you are using.

edit:
add this to the beginning of the owl script:

shellx=`echo $SHELL`
#!$shellx

smile

That's not possible. What interpreter would be used to run the first line? Lack of a (valid) interpreter causes the kernel to invoke the script with /bin/sh.

@bloom: On the topic of shebangs, you should remove the space between the hashbang and the interpreter.

Offline

#4 2011-12-12 05:09:43

fsckd
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2009-06-15
Posts: 4,059

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

A space between #! and /bin/dash is ok if a bit unorthodox. At least Linux doesn't complain.


aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

Offline

#5 2011-12-12 12:48:19

TheShadowFog
Member
Registered: 2011-11-24
Posts: 21
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

falconindy wrote:
TheShadowFog wrote:

Nice! but you should make it detect what shell you are using.

edit:
add this to the beginning of the owl script:

shellx=`echo $SHELL`
#!$shellx

smile

That's not possible. What interpreter would be used to run the first line? Lack of a (valid) interpreter causes the kernel to invoke the script with /bin/sh.

@bloom: On the topic of shebangs, you should remove the space between the hashbang and the interpreter.


Ah. Your right. Stupid me.

Offline

#6 2011-12-12 20:27:19

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

falconindy wrote:

@bloom: On the topic of shebangs, you should remove the space between the hashbang and the interpreter.

Dennis Ritchie originally specified optional spaces:
http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/various/ … ys1.c.html

But I'll remove the space if it's not supported on all platforms.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#7 2012-02-24 10:59:35

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Since I have, at least, one declared user, I thought I shall provide updates:

  • It is AUR installable (see first post).

  • I wrote a man page.

  • The search results are verbose and colorful by default.

  • There's a new action: "checkout" which updates all the git, hg and svn repos it finds in the default AUR dir and proposes to reinstall the packages if some changes where pulled.

Last edited by bloom (2012-02-24 11:10:13)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#8 2013-12-13 18:28:58

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

bloom, just wanted to tell you that I thoroughly enjoy using owl. I like it for its many useful functions, its verbose, but simple command syntax, and its speed (the latter subjectively compared to pacaur). And the origami. I also think it would be cool to call it owlman, in reference to the tragic nihilistic supervillain from "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths", but I can of course just make such an alias for me personally.

One feature that has me go back to pacaur from time to time is the ability to edit AUR PKGBUILDs. "owl edit" might be what I am missing, but it seems to be broken (does nothing) at least on my machine.

Offline

#9 2013-12-14 10:22:20

Iao
Member
Registered: 2012-11-09
Posts: 20

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Franek wrote:

One feature that has me go back to pacaur from time to time is the ability to edit AUR PKGBUILDs. "owl edit" might be what I am missing, but it seems to be broken (does nothing) at least on my machine.

You need to set your $OWL_EDITOR environment variable, which I believe defaults to $EDITOR.

By the way, I am also currently a user. big_smile

Offline

#10 2013-12-14 13:58:46

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Does not work here:

$ echo $OWL_EDITOR
/usr/bin/vim
$ owl edit owl
$ 

(no output, goes right back to command prompt)

Offline

#11 2013-12-15 11:49:11

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Franek wrote:

Does not work here:

owl edit owl

It should work now.

However, I would like to underline the fact that the owl and the owl-git packages are unrelated.

To all: any renaming suggestion (besides owlman)?


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#12 2013-12-15 12:42:06

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,916

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Yeah, well, how about owler?

Offline

#13 2013-12-15 12:57:04

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

bloom wrote:

However, I would like to underline the fact that the owl and the owl-git packages are unrelated.

Ah, sorry! I did not mean to mislead anyone.

[Edit:] And "owl edit" appears to be working now. Thanks!

Last edited by Franek (2013-12-15 14:22:10)

Offline

#14 2013-12-16 19:36:55

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Awebb wrote:

how about owler?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought it would be too close to howler and I went for owlman.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#15 2014-01-26 17:14:33

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

First, awesome that you changed the name to "owlman"!

Second, I believe owlman’s "edit" function does not work on install files included in packages, but only on PKGBUILDs. I would greatly appreciate if editing install files could be included, as unlike PKGBUILDs, they are not executed in a sandbox (to my knowledge), so I always want to have a close look at them before I install an AUR package.

Third, I see that you changed the shebang lines from "#! /bin/dash" to #! /bin/sh". While it is true that this removes dash as an unnecessary dependency, it also means that on a unmodified Arch system, owlman is interpreted by bash (as /bin/sh symlinks to bash).

Fourth, the "uses" function does not seem to work correctly. "owlman uses wayland" gives me no output, but trying to remove wayland reveals that gst-plugins-bad, gtk3 and mesa depend on wayland.

Finally, I would find the AUR "update" function much more useful if one could
a) view and edit the PKDBUILDs (and install files, see above) of all to-be-updated packages before building any of them.
b) manually pick/exlude packages from the update (e. g. because they take a very long time to build, like i2p or parrot).

Offline

#16 2014-01-26 20:26:47

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

Franek wrote:

I see that you changed the shebang lines from "#! /bin/dash" to #! /bin/sh"

You can revert this by applying the following patch to the stock PKGBUILD (of the Git version).

Franek wrote:

"owlman uses wayland" gives me no output, but trying to remove wayland reveals that gst-plugins-bad, gtk3 and mesa depend on wayland.

Works fine here.

Does owlman uses -l wayland work?

Last edited by bloom (2014-01-26 20:46:00)


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#17 2014-01-26 21:18:14

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

bloom wrote:
Franek wrote:

I see that you changed the shebang lines from "#! /bin/dash" to #! /bin/sh"

You can revert this by applying the following patch to the stock PKGBUILD (of the Git version).

Thanks, but I already symlinked /bin/sh to dash, as described in the wiki.

bloom wrote:

Does owlman uses -l wayland work?

No. I also checked some other packages: No output with or without "-l".

Offline

#18 2014-01-27 21:15:35

bloom
Member
Registered: 2010-08-18
Posts: 749
Website

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

As of fca08be:

  • owlman requires expac.

  • All the aforementioned issues should be fixed.


gh · da · ds · cr · ab · fkr

Offline

#19 2014-02-01 10:07:02

Franek
Member
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 98

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

"uses" does indeed work as expected now and install files are accounted for in "edit". Thanks! "update --aur" still edit-installs packages one at a time, while I would find it more convenient to edit all of them first and than have the install process run without user interaction, but that is obviously just personal preference.

By the way, I just noticed that the origami logo has been gone for some time, sadly. Well, I figure it would not fit as well with "owlman" as it did with "owl".

Offline

#20 2014-02-01 12:06:24

Awebb
Member
Registered: 2010-05-06
Posts: 4,916

Re: owlman — A pacman / cower wrapper

bloom wrote:
Awebb wrote:

how about owler?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I thought it would be too close to howler and I went for owlman.

I currently live in france and can confirm, that this would lead to chaos.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB