You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 21:31:07

heleos

Dual boot (win 7 / arch) SSD non-UEFI motherboard

I have a few questions about installing arch on my brand new intel 320. (:D)

I plugged it in and partitioned 60GB for windows (leaving 50GB for linux). Installed windows fine, then read through the wiki about installing arch.
I cannot use GPT as I have windows 7, and have to use the MBR method.

Reading through the wiki, I have a sad feeling I'm going to have to start fresh and reinstall windows, because of the fdisk -H changing header size, and the way cylinders work out.

Will I need to do a complete wipe already?

Last edited by heleos (2011-11-04 20:30:28)

#2 2011-11-04 14:19:20

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: Dual boot (win 7 / arch) SSD non-UEFI motherboard

heleos wrote:

I have a few questions about installing arch on my brand new intel 320. (:D)

I plugged it in and partitioned 60GB for windows (leaving 50GB for linux). Installed windows fine, then read through the wiki about installing arch.
I cannot use GPT as I have windows 7, and have to use the MBR method.

Reading through the wiki, I have a sad feeling I'm going to have to start fresh and reinstall windows, because of the fdisk -H changing header size, and the way cylinders work out.

Will I need to do a complete wipe already?

If you eally want to keep gpt, try http://www.rodsbooks.com/bios2uefi/index.html (check whether uefi duet boots in your system first). I think fdisk has the option of ignoring CHS values and use sectors exclusively.

#3 2011-11-04 20:33:03

heleos

Re: Dual boot (win 7 / arch) SSD non-UEFI motherboard

I updated my original subject, as its a non-UEFI (although I guess non-EFI would work too).

Judging by those instructions (I glanced through them, didn't read all of it word for word) I think it would be easier and less time consuming to just reformat my windows drive...

[edit] reading a little more into it, I actually have to wipe the drive anyway tongue

Last edited by heleos (2011-11-04 20:35:44)

Board footer