You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-06 07:47:52

ekd123
Member
Registered: 2011-08-21
Posts: 4

clang without gcc?

I always use clang. Then I want to remove gcc.

$ sudo pacman -R gcc
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: clang: requires gcc=4.6.2
:: libtool: requires gcc=4.6.2

$

Any ideas?

Offline

#2 2012-05-10 17:52:43

falcongg
Member
Registered: 2012-04-04
Posts: 17

Re: clang without gcc?

The clang from extra repo depends on gcc, you can remove it with

pacman -Rddn

but clang will not work thus it needs gcc linker. I don't know why in the world author of clang package made it completely gcc dependable. It's hell. I'm looking for a way to run clang/llvm without gcc at all. Will post results if I achieve this.

Offline

#3 2012-05-15 19:28:27

bananaoomarang
Member
From: England
Registered: 2009-10-29
Posts: 179
Website

Re: clang without gcc?

'clang: requires gcc'

That, is insane!

Offline

#4 2012-05-15 21:45:14

pyknite
Member
Registered: 2010-03-03
Posts: 166

Re: clang without gcc?

falcongg wrote:

The clang from extra repo depends on gcc, you can remove it with

pacman -Rddn

but clang will not work thus it needs gcc linker. I don't know why in the world author of clang package made it completely gcc dependable. It's hell. I'm looking for a way to run clang/llvm without gcc at all. Will post results if I achieve this.

That's weird... clang can (should) use the llvm linker insteand of gcc...

Offline

#5 2012-05-15 21:59:24

Bellum
Member
Registered: 2011-08-24
Posts: 230

Re: clang without gcc?

File a bug report/feature request?

Offline

#6 2012-05-15 23:39:32

Allan
is always right
From: Brisbane, AU
Registered: 2007-06-09
Posts: 10,467
Website

Re: clang without gcc?

pyknite wrote:
falcongg wrote:

The clang from extra repo depends on gcc, you can remove it with

pacman -Rddn

but clang will not work thus it needs gcc linker. I don't know why in the world author of clang package made it completely gcc dependable. It's hell. I'm looking for a way to run clang/llvm without gcc at all. Will post results if I achieve this.

That's weird... clang can (should) use the llvm linker insteand of gcc...


The words "linker" and "gcc" or "clang" do not go together...

Offline

#7 2012-06-05 20:23:43

hussam
Member
Registered: 2006-03-26
Posts: 527
Website

Re: clang without gcc?

I rebuild clang and llvm using clang/llvm instead of gcc. but the official arch package is compiled using gcc so could this be the cause of the dependency?

Offline

#8 2012-06-23 02:36:53

phantom
Member
Registered: 2008-03-31
Posts: 3

Re: clang without gcc?

Among other things LLVM/Clang needs GCC's C++ library (libstdc++). However,  there's also libc++, alternative C++ library from LLVM team, but it's still under development (to test it, install libcxx-svn and libcxxabi-svn from AUR and compile like "clang++ -stdlib=libc++ -lc++abi test.cpp"). Probably that's why llvm/clang package maintainer decided to use libstdc++ as default C++ library for Clang.

Last edited by phantom (2012-06-23 02:49:28)

Offline

#9 2012-07-04 13:00:04

falcongg
Member
Registered: 2012-04-04
Posts: 17

Re: clang without gcc?

phantom wrote:

Among other things LLVM/Clang needs GCC's C++ library (libstdc++). However,  there's also libc++, alternative C++ library from LLVM team, but it's still under development (to test it, install libcxx-svn and libcxxabi-svn from AUR and compile like "clang++ -stdlib=libc++ -lc++abi test.cpp"). Probably that's why llvm/clang package maintainer decided to use libstdc++ as default C++ library for Clang.

Why libcxx-svn depends on gcc-libs?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB