You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-11 09:23:41

PaulSalden

[SOLVED] Arch boot in VirtualBox broken after kernel upgrade

Hi people,

I have installed Arch Linux in the latest virtualbox (4.1.6) and updated my kernel through pacman yesterday. After that I noticed there were issues with generating the initramfs (I think). Running 'mkinitcpio -p linux' would give me a long list of errors, mostly related to not finding 'pata*' modules. Silly as I was, I rebooted at some point without fixing this. Now the system won't get past what seems to be the earliest stage in the boot process:

archbootfail.png

I have attached the virtual harddrive to a ubuntu install, so that I can still access its files. The root device UUID seems to match what's listed in the fstab file as the root partition. Furthermore I believe the grub2 grub.cfg to be fine too. I'll link it for completeness.

My current belief is that I somehow need to successfully run mkinitcpio. Yet I have no idea how to get started from this recovery console. Could you please confirm if this is what I need to do and if so, provide me with some directions?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by PaulSalden (2011-11-11 13:08:07)

#2 2011-11-11 11:05:44

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Arch boot in VirtualBox broken after kernel upgrade

Yes, those two things sound related... Without knowing what's in your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and what hardware you attached to the VM, it's all up to speculation. The grub config isn't wrong, your initramfs is just lacking the necessary modules to discover the device.

#3 2011-11-11 12:38:36

PaulSalden

thanks for your answer falconindy

you may find my mkinitcpio.conf file here

I left this file pretty much untouched after first install. Furthermore, I am not sure what to tell you about the hardware I have attached. If it helps, I enabled IO APIC and 3D acceleration on top of default VirtualBox settings, but that is pretty much it.

#4 2011-11-11 13:07:17

PaulSalden

Aha! I seem to have solved it by trying some more. smile

I loaded the installer iso, chrooted into the system and reinstalled the kernel using pacman. That seemed to do the trick. Another lesson learned too. Thanks for the heads up.

Board footer