You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-11 18:24:42

MasterMax

btrfs

Hi,

I installed arch on only one partition with btrfs, so everything is on one partition and i don't have swap. Then I snapshotted 'sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot / /snapname', and set this snapshot as the default subvolume 'sudo btrfs subvolume set-default <id> <path>' and rebootet. Before doing a system update I always did a snapshot with 'sudo btrfs subvolume snapshot / /snapname' and I deleted the old one. Worked fine, but now there was a Kernel update and - because /boot is in a subvolume - arch still tries to boot in kernel 3.0 instead of kernel 3.1. I 'saved' my system by simply setting the last snaphot as the default subvolume.

Can I simply create a new subvolume for /boot and tell the system, that i should boot from here? I installed mkinitcpio-btrfs using yaourt, but I am not sure, how to proceed. Since I am new to linux, I don't know what I should do now, so I need help wink
(this system is my first linux system. A friend helped me with the setup, but unfortunately he doesn't use btrfs. I chose btrfs, because I like the snapshot idea and I can always restore a snapshot if a upgrade fails - like now. I don't use this system for important stuff - just to lern linux and because it boots way faster than my windows, which is handy, if i just want to check my mails etc.)

Information that you might need:
my /etc/fstab (it is really located here and not in /mnt/etc/fstab, the dir /mnt is empty)
#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>
tmpfs        /tmp    tmpfs    nodev,nosuid    0    0
#UUID=5c5b02cc-08df-4ca7-94c4-f625a1f2864a / btrfs defaults 0 1
UUID=5c5b02cc-08df-4ca7-94c4-f625a1f2864a / btrfs defaults 0 1

the interesting part of syslinux (/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg):
# (1) Arch Linux
LABEL arch
    MENU LABEL Arch Linux
    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux