You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-14 20:36:38

schmidtbag

Virtualbox stopped working *solved*

I have the latest virtualbox build from the aur (4.1.6-3) and I can't run any VMs anymore.  I know the problem is that the kernel modules aren't built, but I can't build them because the vboxbuild command doesn't exist anymore.

When installing it, I got the message "In order to use the new version, reload all virtualbox modules manually." and I have no idea how to do that if there are no more scripts.

One thing I'd like to point out is once I got this release, the installer pointed out that kernel-headers was no longer needed.  When I removed them recursively, it did not remove anything else.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

As a side question, is there any particular reason why Arch's virtualbox doesn't use /etc/init.d/vboxdrv?

Last edited by schmidtbag (2011-11-14 20:59:23)

#2 2011-11-14 20:49:01

ctxfi-user

Re: Virtualbox stopped working *solved*

From AUR? Sure? I installed it from the community repo. Everything important is explained during update or take a look in /var/log/pacman.log:

===> You must load vboxdrv module before starting VirtualBox:
===> # modprobe vboxdrv 
installed virtualbox-modules (4.1.6-2)
===> Starting with virtualbox version 4.1.6-1, kernel modules handling is done by virtualbox-modules.
===> Use virtualbox-source package if you don't use our stock linux package.
upgraded virtualbox (4.1.4-2 -> 4.1.6-3)

#3 2011-11-14 20:49:20

RichAustin

Do you just need to do:

modprobe vboxdrv

I think that's how to load the module manually anyway.

#4 2011-11-14 20:59:05

schmidtbag

I've modprobed vboxdrv before.  I don't get errors but it doesn't fix the problem either.  I have the module loaded at boot anyway (from /etc/rc.conf).

I actually managed to solve the issue.  I went into the /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/, decompressed the .ko.gz files, and modprobed ALL of the modules listed.  Before, I did not modprobe vboxpci, or vboxnetadp.  Now it works.

I hope someone fixes this issue in the future, because before all I had to do was modprobe was vboxdrv and vboxnetflt and thats it.

Last edited by schmidtbag (2011-11-14 21:00:01)

#5 2011-11-14 21:02:35

makimaki

@schmidtbag: Are you using a custom kernel? If so, make sure you have the package virtualbox-source installed. vboxbuild is now part of this package which you'll need to build the modules.

====* -- Joke
    O
    \|/ --- Me
    / \             Whooooosh

#6 2011-11-14 21:09:15

schmidtbag

makimaki wrote:

@schmidtbag: Are you using a custom kernel? If so, make sure you have the package virtualbox-source installed. vboxbuild is now part of this package which you'll need to build the modules.

as far as i'm aware, i'm using the default kernel

#7 2012-07-06 19:28:10

d0se

schmidtbag wrote:

I've modprobed vboxdrv before.  I don't get errors but it doesn't fix the problem either.  I have the module loaded at boot anyway (from /etc/rc.conf).

I actually managed to solve the issue.  I went into the /lib/modules/extramodules-3.1-ARCH/, decompressed the .ko.gz files, and modprobed ALL of the modules listed.  Before, I did not modprobe vboxpci, or vboxnetadp.  Now it works.

I hope someone fixes this issue in the future, because before all I had to do was modprobe was vboxdrv and vboxnetflt and thats it.

I Know this is all from over a year ago but the issue just cropped up for me and your resolution worked. thank you.

kernel= 3.4.4-2-ARCH
vbox= 4.1.18_ose

Board footer