You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-15 23:06:11

volf.tomas

Build system

Hi fellow users,
I am just starting a small project and while I am still in planning phase, I considering which build system to use.

GNU Make and CMake are currently on the table...

Can I ask for your opinions?

Thanks a lot smile

#2 2011-11-15 23:18:42

/dev/zero

Re: Build system

Autotools has enough precedent that many people will expect to just run "configure && make && sudo make install". You have to weigh the complexity of the project off against the complexity of autotools, though. For a small Linux-only project consisting of up to a few thousand SLOC, I'd probably go makefile.

#3 2011-11-16 05:00:18

Basu
Website

Start with plain Makefiles until you get to the point where you need something more. If you're just learning build tools for the first time I think it's a good idea to start from the basics.

The Bytebaker -- Computer science is not a science and it's not about computers
Check out my open source software at Github

#4 2011-11-16 05:13:55

ewaller
Administrator

They are just tools.  It really depends on the task at hand.

All other things being equal, I like prefer Autotools.  It can take a moderate amount of effort to get it working, but it does a nice job of keeping things "buildable" as the installed libraries mutate over time.  They also do a nice job if you want to cross compile to other OSes (Like a famous one from the American Pacific Northwest).  I have Autotool build scripts that will compile WxWidgets and C++ into both Linux Elf and "That other OS's" .exe executables.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-11-16 07:13:29

volf.tomas

Well, thanks to all of you, I will stick with Autotools smile

Board footer