You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-16 21:41:31

Matty265

Jack and Pulseaudio on 2 Soundcards?

Hey,
i have 2 soundcards in my pc. An internal onboard card, and an external usb interface/soundcard. I want to dedicate Pulseaudio to the internal card only, and Jack to the usb device. I want to separate between audio editing applications (Jack) and stuff like Youtube, Rhythmbox etc.

Is it possible to do this? I want to prevent Xruns and have everything nicely separated and clean

greetings

#2 2011-11-17 02:44:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Jack and Pulseaudio on 2 Soundcards?

Matty265 wrote:

Is it possible to do this? I want to prevent Xruns and have everything nicely separated and clean

Yes it is. Pulseaudio defaults to grabbing all sound-cards, but you can configure it not to (check pulseaudio's wiki and the commented /etc/pulse/* files), and if you're using Jack you'd need to script its startup anyway (or set the relevant things in qjackctl or related managers).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-11-17 12:32:50

Matty265

Hey, thanks for the reply! I read the wikipage (wich i did before you wrote, too, but i skipped the "jack the old way" part big_smile ) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … he_old_way
Does this mean, the only way is to start pulseaudio after jack has already grabbed its device? And does Pulseaudio then automaticly search for an unused device?
So the best way would be to start jack ( i do it wich QJackCtl) and then, after startup, simply execute "pulseaudio" ? Sorry i can't try this atm, i'm going to later this evening

Edit: On a system with Pulseaudio in the autostart, how do you prevent it from starting?

Last edited by Matty265 (2011-11-17 16:20:16)

#4 2011-11-18 04:04:45

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I meant the pulseaudio wiki, not the Arch wiki. And pulseaudio automatically grabs all devices, like I said you can configure it not to.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-11-18 16:10:05

Matty265

Ok, i got it. I just started jack first and then pulseaudio, via "pulseaudio --start". No config changes, nothing. Didnt expect this to be that easy wink
Thank you for the replys smile

Board footer