You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-18 16:13:16

foolishrobot

Asus K52J ATI Driver Hell

So when I bought my K52J, I was all oooooh over the ATI HD 6370M Graphics card. It works great in Windows, but the linux drivers are just horrid. I'm regretting this laptop now because of the ATI card.

I've followed the instructions here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_K52J , but I'm having a few issues with the video.

1) Game performance is horrible. Minecraft is unplayable with both OpenJDK and Proprietary JRE
2) Laptop freezes on hibernate and never wakes up
3) The screen flickers every time you wake up the monitor. (Not out of hibernate, just blank screen)

I've tried both xf86-video-ati and the catalyst ATI drivers from proprietary. The open drivers work much better than the proprietary.

Any suggestions?

#2 2012-02-12 16:25:35

foolishrobot

Re: Asus K52J ATI Driver Hell

Sorry, don't mean to bump old topics, but I have an update on this.

After months of trying to get this working correctly, I decided to try to take a different route. I installed openSUSE on my laptop and dove into the issue again.

The open source driver in openSUSE had the EXACT same issues as arch running gnome. I used the one click install for the ATI proprietary driver for openSUSE and voila, all of the issues were gone! Granted, game performance was still a little lacking because ATI drivers for linux just suck monkey balls. When will ATI start taking linux seriously like NVidia does?

Anywhos, I may revisit arch again on my laptop. If I do, I'll be sure to update on my progress.

Board footer