You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-20 21:10:40

Hukka

GVFS forgot my permissions?

So I reinstalled my Arch today. The old installation was buggy (long story) and I felt like trying out a new DE, so I just went "screw it" and started from scratch.

Anyway, I use Xfce 4 on my new installation. For some reason, GVFS no longer gives me the permissions to mount drives in Thunar nor shut down or reboot the system. Trying to mount my SD card in Thunar gives me a "Not Authorized" error.
It used to work just fine earlier today, but suddenly stopped working after a reboot. xfce4-power-manager doesn't allow me to shut down either.

After searching the Wiki and forums, I have tried the following:
1. Reinstall GVFS
2. In .xinintrc, append "dbus-launch" on the "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" line
Neither of them worked.

For the record, here's the permissions of my user account:

[hukka@hukka-laptop ~]$ groups hukka
lp wheel games video audio optical storage scanner power users

As you can see, nothing should be wrong with them.

I'm sure the solution to my problem is simple and it has been documented in numerous threads but I'm just too dumb to figure it out. >.<

#2 2011-11-21 22:05:17

mariusmeyer

Re: GVFS forgot my permissions?

Searching for "Not authorized" on the forums gives TONS of these threads. I'm sure you're not too dumb, just a little lazy right now wink flip through some of the threads and the wiki on XFCE, and you'll find the answer smile

#3 2011-11-22 00:36:30

grandmouse

"System policy prevents stopping the system when other users are logged in" is a message in
/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy

"There is still no need to start dbus-launch explicitly since startxfce4 takes care of doing that anyway." (wiki)
It is a bad idea to run two dbus daemons because you only exit one when you logout. Repeat this and you have an army of daemons.

instead of editing "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy"
you can create an update persistent file "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/55-storage.pkla" with content

[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:storage
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=no

The Action line contains semicolon separated action ids from "/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy".
Select the actions you need but keep all in a single line.

#4 2011-11-22 02:44:02

David Batson

Try installing polkit-gnome.  Solved it for me with the latest thunar update.

Board footer