You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-17 18:46:27

Kalidor

udev: distinguish between mouse and touchpad

Hello,

I recently switched from devfs to udev. Before doing this, my touchpad was always at /dev/psaux, whereas my USB mouse could be found at /dev/usbmouse. Therefore I could write two different sections for both devices in xorg.conf, giving them different options.

Now I have /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mouse1 but which is what depends on when I plug my USB mouse in. I could use /dev/input/mice of course, but this disables me from treating the two devices different in X11. It is really annoying, because the touchpad is nearly unusable with the USB mouse setup.

Any suggestions?

#2 2005-06-17 19:07:04

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: udev: distinguish between mouse and touchpad

use the synaptics xorg module... works perfectly for me...

but /dev/psaux should still exist, if I'm not mistaken

#3 2005-06-18 11:05:53

Kalidor

Thanks, I finally got it to work the way I wanted. I am now using the device /dev/input/mice for my USB mouse, which is set to "CorePointer", and the device /dev/psaux for my touchpad (using synaptics), which is set to "SendCoreEvents".

What I still don't understand though is how xorg distinguishes between the two devices;

cat /dev/psaux

or

cat /dev/input/mice

both show response to both the mouse and the touchpad.

#4 2005-07-06 16:50:22

big_gie

I do have a similar question.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a Alps Touchpad. The touchpad has a normal touchpad (glidepoint), a stick (stickpointer), 2 buttons under the glidepoint, and 2 buttons under the spacebar for use with the stick.

Here is a picture of the touchpad/glidepoint/stickpointer:
test.jpg

I'd like to create a udev rule for the glidepoint, for the stickpoint and all the buttons, independly. I'd like also a rule for the keyboard. I sometime use a usb keyboard and mouse. Right now the 2 buttons for the stickpoint don't work at all.

Here is my actual udev rules:

# Clavier integre
BUS="serio", SYSFS{description}="i8042 Kbd Port", SYMLINK="input/clavier"
# Alps TouchPad
# GlidePoint
BUS="serio", SYSFS{description}="i8042 Aux Port", KERNEL="event?", SYMLINK="input/touchpad"
# StickPointer
#BUS="serio",

# Souris MX700 externe
BUS="usb", SYSFS{bInterfaceNumber}=="01", SYSFS{bInterfaceProtocol}=="02", SYMLINK="input/mx700_souris"
# Clavier MX700
BUS="usb", SYSFS{bInterfaceNumber}=="00", SYSFS{bInterfaceProtocol}=="01", SYMLINK="input/mx700_clavier"

#5 2005-07-06 21:11:45

i3839

USe xev to see if the buttons work.

Board footer