You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-28 02:29:58

Anders H
Website

[Sloved] Gnome 3 stuck in Fallback mode after Skype workaround

Hey guys,

Today I was setting up my webcam when Gnome-shell crashed on me. I've done a ton of digging around and messing with my system for the past few hours as well as countless google searches and I believe I've narrowed down the problem to an issue with my gnome-shell session settings.

I was able to uninstall gnome-shell and get back into the system in the fall back mode (how I'm typing now) so I believe that one of or more of the config files for just the gnome-shell has been corrupted. When I reinstall gnome-shell the issue returns across all of my system's users so I know it is a global issue and not tied to just one user's config files.

So my question is where are these global gnome-shell files so I can delete them to do a fresh install of the Gnome-Shell?

Thanks for any help with this. Call me weird but the shell has grown on me and I want it back.

Edit:

So I fixed it.

I went digging in the log files for GDM and found a reference to not being able to load a certain file that I had changed the permissions on when this whole thing first started.

Apparently when I changed the directory permissions in

/usr/lib/

Like I said I did in post #3 from the wiki I prevented gnome-shell from accessing the, some how 3d vital, libpulse library

Never thought that a sound library would prevent gnome-shell from starting. If some wise guru reads this could you please tell me why gnome-shell crashed when I changed those permissions.

Maybe I goofed up and should have changed the permissions in

/usr/lib32

But there the files listed in the skype fix are not in my

/usr/lib32

So I'm changing the name of this thread so anyone else with a similar issue might get their problem solved faster.

Strangely, skype is no longer crashing / acting buggy (for now)

Last edited by Anders H (2011-12-05 04:18:09)

#2 2011-11-28 16:36:34

Ganoes Paran

Re: [Sloved] Gnome 3 stuck in Fallback mode after Skype workaround

You might want to do

pacman -Rs gnome-shell

which will remove gnome-shell and it's dependencies, or if you really want to completely obliterate gnome-shell:

pacman -Rsc gnome-shell

but that might remove some necessary files needed for other applications.

just my two cents

#3 2011-11-29 02:48:34

Anders H
Website

Thanks for the help,

I've tried every single way I can think of to uninstall gnome-shell that I can think of and yet the problem appears to persist.

The only thing I can think of that might have changed anything is I issued the following commands shortly before the shell crashed for a skype workaround from the wiki

# cd /usr/lib
# chmod ugo-r libpulse.so.0.12.*
# chmod ugo-r libpulse-simple.so.0.0.3

But libpulse is a sound server library, so I don't think that caused it.

#4 2011-11-29 03:42:43

David Batson

Probably won't be exactly the same, but look at where Fedora 15 installs the files for gnome-shell from the following link.

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/6/ … x86_64.rpm

#5 2011-11-30 02:07:59

Anders H
Website

@ David thanks, I've checked and all the files seem to be gone. So I guess I can scratch my first theory off the list.

However I have a different hunch as to what might be causing the problem.

After doing some more digging in google I found where Xorg was hiding it's log files (under /var/log, I smacked my self roll).

And there in the log file I found this series of interesting errors.

From /var/log/Xorg.5.log

[    25.615] (EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
[    25.615] (EE) Failed to load module "vesa" (module does not exist, 0)
[    25.615] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)

This error appears log files 2 to 5 on my computer.

I know I have the proper driver installed for my video card, the xf86-video-ati driver, but apparently Xorg has no idea that it exists.

Any ideas on what files I need to get into and change to get my driver working again?

#6 2011-12-04 01:18:38

Anders H
Website

Ok, So I've tried uninstalling my current driver (xf86-vidoe-ati) installing the Catalyst Driver, generating a new /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with the new driver but still no luck. Can some one point me in the right direction. I know this is not a hardware issue because this GPU works just fine under Windows.

#7 2012-02-23 14:13:39

myro
Website

Could you please post your solution to this problem?
I'm using Linux Mint and I'm stucked with gnome fallback too.

Thank you.

#8 2012-02-23 14:40:13

myro
Website

Ok, I have solved:
the solution is to definitely remove fglrx from your computer if you are using radeon free driver.
Even if the fglrx module was not loaded, something was messing up with GLX, and I was stuck in fallback mode.

#9 2012-02-24 02:10:30

Anders H
Website

@ Myro -

For me the solution was to change the permissions on the /usr/lib/libpulse* directory back to what they were in the first place (I changed the permissions for a skype work around). That seemed to fixed the issue for me. I am currently using the xf86-vidoe-ati (what I assume you are calling the radeon free driver) without any problems in Crossfire. Last I heard the ATI's Linux driver has had it's development stall, you might want to see if you can use the community driver (xf86-video-ati) though under Mint it might be called something diffrent in apt-get.

Board footer