You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-30 16:38:06

aswefought

Boot problems with HP Compaq 2510p EDIT: related to KMS

Hi,

Since I installed ArchLinux on my laptop I encounter some problems with my laptop. Every time I boot ArchLinux with Grub 0.97 (grub configuration appended) it displays four or five messages, but when it wants to change the resolution, the display simply becomes bright and does not display any further information but it seems that it simply stops to initialize any further processes.
However sometimes, say every tenth boot, the system boots normally and instead of becoming bright, general information are displayed (e.g. that the services were initialized etc.) in a higher resolution.

My grub configuration for ArchLinux

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /boot/initramfs-linux.img

It is irrelevant whether I boot the fallback image or the normal image. The problems occur, nonetheless.
I have no separate boot or home partition btw. I stored a Windows 7 installation on the first two partitions.
During the boot-up no problems are reported btw. the system simply boots.
My system is up-to-date, I installed the last update only minutes ago.

edit: Ok, I disabled KMS by appending i915.modeset=0 to the kernel "part" in my grub configuration. It solved the problem and I can boot without any problems; however, I can not use X anymore. Is there any way to use X with an Intel video card wtihout KMS?

aswefought

Last edited by aswefought (2011-12-04 11:27:23)

Board footer