You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-01 02:50:47

*nixer

Easy way to change default sound card?

Hi.

I would like to occasionally change my default sound device on the fly. It's mostly for whenever I decide to use the front headphone jack on this PC which doesn't use the default sound device.

Is there an easy way to switch the default sound device, and have it work assuming I restart my dependent programs? For instance, Java sound from firefox...

#2 2011-12-01 13:35:09

shikitohno

Re: Easy way to change default sound card?

If you use alsa, you could open up the alsamixer and hit f6 to pick the sound card and when you exit, do alsactl store.  Takes all of about 15 seconds to do, and I imagine you could write yourself a script for it if you wanted to, and make it a hair faster.  I don't know how you would do that with OSS, as I've not used it.  Would help those trying to help you if you stated whether you're using alsa or OSS, though.

Last edited by shikitohno (2011-12-01 13:35:43)

#3 2011-12-01 16:57:27

*nixer

shikitohno wrote:

Would help those trying to help you if you stated whether you're using alsa or OSS, though.

Yes, indeed I do use Alsa. Sorry bout that.

shikitohno wrote:

If you use alsa, you could open up the alsamixer and hit f6 to pick the sound card and when you exit, do alsactl store.  Takes all of about 15 seconds to do, and I imagine you could write yourself a script for it if you wanted to, and make it a hair faster.  I don't know how you would do that with OSS, as I've not used it.

All hitting F6 did was allow me to change the volume levels on the other sound device. It didn't change it to the default card on the fly.

By that, I mean no restart, or logout followed by a re-login.

I'm looking for something similar to how you can just open the audio properties in Windows, change the default device to whatever, and restart your program. In my case, Firefox.

#4 2011-12-21 04:21:51

clg

Any more insight on this? I seem to be having the same problem, I am able to switch sound cards via asoundconf but sound does not change sources.

Edit: Nvm, asoundconf works, just needed to restart the application.

Last edited by clg (2011-12-21 04:31:52)

Board footer