You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-03 12:07:13

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Resest Arch Linux to it's factory state?

Over the past months of testing Arch Linux, it has become I mess - I've installed and uninstalled loads of window managers which is making problems for E17, half the programs aren't installed correctly and I have an ill-configured Server and MythTV setup.

So, I decided to re-install Arch Linux and start from scratch again (this time, I know what I'll be doing), the only problem is that I have no Blank CD's. Is there any way I can reset Arch Linux back to it's factory settings?

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#2 2011-12-03 12:08:50

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: Resest Arch Linux to it's factory state?

oldtimeyjunk, search the forums. There have been several successful attempts to do this in the past.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2011-12-03 12:09:55

oldtimeyjunk
Website

Cheers. I tried doing a Google search on it, couldn't find anything.
I'll try the Forum search!

EDIT: I've searched all over and cannot find any other topics on this except my own. What I meant to be searching for?!

Last edited by oldtimeyjunk (2011-12-03 12:12:24)

"... being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition

#4 2011-12-03 12:23:40

karol
Archivist

#5 2011-12-07 20:13:41

stefanwilkens

Strictly speaking, there is no "factory reset" for linux distributions. They're not a set combination of software / settings tuned for specific hardware, quite the opposite in fact.

If installation media is a problem, you could always install from a USB thumb drive. Guides on how to do so are available on the wiki.

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

#6 2011-12-07 21:25:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

1. List packages in the base (and optionally base-devel) group.
2. pacman -Rscn all installed packages that are not in that list.
3. There is no 3.

/me wonders where the Arch factory is.....

Last edited by tomk (2011-12-07 21:26:54)

#7 2011-12-07 21:52:39

bwat47

You could also just backup any needed data and do a reinstall (if your home is on a separate partition this is pretty much done for you smile )

Last edited by bwat47 (2011-12-07 21:54:58)

#8 2011-12-16 08:37:07

GrannyTux

True he could just format the /boot, / and leave the /home be, however this would preserve all his config files that reside in the home directory . Which could carry over  problems later if he has been playing a lot. I vote for backup critical files to an external, then blow away  the partitions away and start fresh. Just dump arch on a USB to re-install.

#9 2011-12-16 08:39:26

GrannyTux

Arch can fit easily on a 512mb usb , so just about any old stick will do.

oldtimeyjunk wrote:

Over the past months of testing Arch Linux, it has become I mess - I've installed and uninstalled loads of window managers which is making problems for E17, half the programs aren't installed correctly and I have an ill-configured Server and MythTV setup.

So, I decided to re-install Arch Linux and start from scratch again (this time, I know what I'll be doing), the only problem is that I have no Blank CD's. Is there any way I can reset Arch Linux back to it's factory settings?

#10 2011-12-16 09:05:43

Shark

Try this but be carefull:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … base_group

By issuing this command you should have only base group in the end.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#11 2011-12-16 09:47:56

/dev/zero

Shark wrote:

Try this but be carefull:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … base_group

By issuing this command you should have only base group in the end.

What makes this superior to just re-installing?

#12 2011-12-16 11:18:07

Shark

As i understand he doesn't have a blank CD. This way he doesn't have to reinstall the system with live CD.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

#13 2011-12-17 23:26:06

DasFox

oldtimeyjunk wrote:

Haven't you ever heard of backup images?

Install Arch the way you know you like it, then create your backup image, then play till your hearts content, so now if you muck it all up, slap in the image, takes a whole 5-15 mins to restore Arch, depending on how much you installed and your back to your fresh clean install the way you like it, to start the madness all over again, LOL...

Image For Linux I can attest to, I've used it for years, never had a problem it's practically fool proof and it works, it's the best investment you'll ever make for your sanity! wink

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to install the image to another box, or have many different distro images to install on different boxes of your choice...

Last edited by DasFox (2011-12-17 23:27:26)

12 Year Linux Vet, Don't Let The Post Count Fool Ya! But Sure I Don't Know Everything, Who Does? That's Why I Ask. smile

#14 2011-12-19 16:04:34

maddog39
Website

You may also want to consider a thumb drive if thats easier for you, cheaply available and most things are capable of booting from them.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of … tion_Media

#15 2011-12-19 20:46:43

venky80

tomk wrote:

1. List packages in the base (and optionally base-devel) group.
2. pacman -Rscn all installed packages that are not in that list.
3. There is no 3.

/me wonders where the Arch factory is.....

eh this has been an issue for ever and ever. There are packages which make config files in /etc and other root folders ..samba is an example which used to do it and if you have edited some .conf files (in the past and then forgotten) then when you do "pacman -Rscn samba" it will not delete the .conf file (this is how it is supposed to be) But then there is no effective way to clean the littered configuration files from these important folders.

I have been trying to figure this for years here but there has not been any smooth solutions.

P.S I do know deleting user edited .conf files is a horrible idea...but what I was hoping is to find some viable way of cleaning the system with a BIG disclaimer, but the problem is that as soon as you edit these files pacman stops managing these files and disassociates the files from the package. All i wish is for an option.

P.P.S maybe brtfs snapshot will be a solution where you can go back to the clean install.

P.P.P.S Seems pacman tips page has been updated since I last used it, I am thinking it has a comprehensive list of tips to get to factory state. Still not very easy ...but hey this is Arch tongue

Last edited by venky80 (2011-12-19 20:57:03)

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#16 2018-04-13 11:57:22

ebscriptwalker

You can install arch from drive doid application for rooted android phone if you happen to have one i believe.

Darkness is deepest before dawn, in a moment my vision is filled with confusing figures, As I patiently feel my way through this strange enviroment,  my view becomes more, and more clear. As I step into the light fear and confusion give way to to excitement understanding, and enlightenment. These things I could not find without first taking a step into the unknown. Thank you arch!

#17 2018-04-13 12:26:11

V1del
Forum Moderator

I don't see how this is relevant to this thread in any shape or form and it has been 7 years since it was remotely relevant

Don't necrobump: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping.22

Closing.

Last edited by V1del (2018-04-13 12:26:56)

Board footer