You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-03 17:48:27

will.price94
Website

iPod automount [SOLVED]

Hello all,

I'm having trouble trying to automount my ipod, at first I tried to use udev, but then I've come to realise that udev is used to handle the inodes rather than mounting of devices (wrong? Can it mount things, or does autofs mount them).
I'm thoroughly confused as to what udev actually is and how to use it to mount my ipod for use with banshee. Hence I investigated some other alternatives: primarily thunar-volman.

I run thunar as a daemon and when I plug in my ipod (despite the options being checked in preferences) the ipod isn't mounted (I checked the daemon was running when I first plugged the ipod in without a thunar window open), whereas if I have a thunar window open the ipod will be mounted.
So as far as I can understand, if thunar is running as a daemon, yet a thunar window isn't open, my ipod will NOT be mounted however, if a window is open, thunar works as expected - mounting the ipod and launching banshee.
Is there some configuration option I have overlooked to get thunar to automount devices when running in daemon mode?
Or do I need to go back to udev and try and configure it like that?

Cheers.
Will

[EDIT]

I've tried udiskie and devmon, both of them work when launched after X has launched, however neither work when put in .xinitrc (both are running after starting X but not functioning)

Last edited by will.price94 (2011-12-03 21:53:30)

#2 2011-12-03 21:53:14

will.price94
Website

Re: iPod automount [SOLVED]

I've solved it pretty much, I thought about it for a bit, seeing as ck-launch would be executed after udiskie or devmon started, yet they wouldn't work unless restarted after X had been executed, I thought that udiskie and devmon weren't getting the proper permissions, I headed over to the wiki to RTFM for the upteenth time: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udiskie

exec ck-launch-session bash -c "udiskie & dwm"

There we go, udiskie now has the proper permissions to mount things/interact with polkit/consolekit (whichever it speaks to).
Thank you Arch, your wiki is just superb, I've learnt so much since using arch, it's been good fun so far big_smile

Board footer