You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-04 18:54:19

well.heeled.man

Switchable Graphics - Use Radeon all the time?

Hi Folks,

I ma looking at buying a new laptop and I have two choices, one with Nvidia and one with Radeon

I have seen a lot about using vgaswitcharoo to turn of the Radeon/Nvidia card and use the integrated graphics. I know this is not possible with the NVIDIA, but is it possible to just use the Radeon all the time. I have been using the Optimus on my current laptop, but would probably rater just have teh discreet GPU on all time as I am usually near a charger.

Cheers,

Scott

#2 2011-12-04 21:20:56

Gusar

Re: Switchable Graphics - Use Radeon all the time?

well.heeled.man wrote:

I know this is not possible with the NVIDIA, but is it possible to just use the Radeon all the time.

Not necessarily. There are laptops out there with a Radeon card that are Optimus-like, meaning they have no hardware mux to switch between integrated and discrete cards.

On the other hand, there are laptops with a Nvidia card that do have a hardware mux. They're a bit rare, but they're out there. If I was buying a laptop, this is what I'd buy.

#3 2011-12-06 18:37:43

Goresome

Re: Switchable Graphics - Use Radeon all the time?

On my HP DV7-6101er which have A6 and 6750 this is easily possibile just by checking an option within Catalyst Control Center (amdcccle). So you dont have to go that far. I don't know about open-source drivers tho.

Board footer