You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-06 16:02:08

gienekr

[solved] Boot installer from hard disk, but install from external DVD.

Hi!
I have an old notebook with broken cd-rom and without support to boot from USB disks (only "USB-FDD"). I want to install on this notebook Arch Linux! I bought an external DVD writer and I would like to only boot Arch linux, but install from external drive. How can I do it?

Last edited by gienekr (2011-12-07 14:58:49)

#2 2011-12-06 23:21:37

Mavirick

Re: [solved] Boot installer from hard disk, but install from external DVD.

Have you tried burning the ISO to a disk, putting it in the external drive and powering on the laptop?  If yes and that did not work have you gone into the bios to see what your boot options are for the laptop with the external device plugged in?

#3 2011-12-07 00:05:36

djgera
Developer
Website

Can you boot via network? If you have another machine, you can make it as PXE server [#1], then boot via network in your laptop. Alternativelly you can boot via internet [#2]. You need at least 256MB of RAM wink

[#1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … pxe_server
[#2] http://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

#4 2011-12-07 14:58:35

gienekr

Mavirick wrote:

Have you tried burning the ISO to a disk, putting it in the external drive and powering on the laptop?  If yes and that did not work have you gone into the bios to see what your boot options are for the laptop with the external device plugged in?

Yes. My laptop does not support booting from usb-cd and usb-hdd hmm
But I installed Arch by grub4dos to boot from iso, connect external dvd and start installation. System successfully detected the dvd drive so I could install a new system!

Board footer