You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-07 15:07:02

dtmc

[SOLVED] PDF printing problem

I find that I am unable to print complete PDFs using Acrobat Reader (installed from AUR).  I can print single pages, but not a complete document or selection of multiple pages.

Checking in cups, the print job is sitting there saying 'Rendering completed' but nothing gets sent to the printer.  Checking the printer status (HP OfficeJet 6310), it sometimes says 'idle' and sometimes says 'started a print job (xx minutes ago)'.  I've waited two hours for it to actually print, before my patience finally ran out and I cancelled the job in cups  :-)

I *can* print PDFs from ePDFviewer, but want the extra control over printing that I get from Acrobat.

Any ideas?

Many thanks, in advance,

David Shaw

Last edited by dtmc (2011-12-07 21:00:03)

#2 2011-12-07 15:29:09

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] PDF printing problem

check /var/log/cups/error_log

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2011-12-07 16:02:51

dtmc

OK, I had a look and, frankly, couldn't make head nor tail of it, so I followed the log with a tail -f /var/log/cups/error_log as I tried to print and there was no output.  However, the first entry in the log after each reboot is

E [07/Dec/2011:15:33:18 +0000] Unable to set ACLs on root certificate "/var/run/cups/certs/0" - Operation not supported

I don't know whether that's significant or not.

David Shaw

#4 2011-12-07 20:59:28

dtmc

OK, I've solved this - it seems to be a problem with hplip, rather than Acrobat.

When I installed hplip, I setup the printer to print first page last.  This option seems to have been ignored anyway by Arch/LXDE/hplip/cups/whatever and so I never bothered to set it back to the default print-the-first-page-first setting.  But doing this means that Acrobat now prints just fine.

It's obviously a bug, but I have no idea who to report it to  :-S

Ah well.  At least it's working now.

David Shaw

Board footer