You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-11 11:05:14

snack

Problems with headphones and PulseAudio

Hi, I recently installed PulseAudio to solve a problem with sound over HDMI and it served well for that purpose. I like PullseAudio and KDE works seamlessly with it.  There is only one  thing that bothers me: adjusting headphones volume. There's no such control in kmix, only volume for analog output and for HDMI. I was watching a movie with vlc (which supports PulseAudio, I think) and I was unable to hear anything on my headphones. I tried with every option in kmix and vlc, and in the end I had to fall back to the good old alsamixer to rise  the headphones volume.
My question is: can PulseAudio manage the headphones volume? Is my problem due to PulseAudio or kmix or both? Thanks.

#2 2011-12-11 12:01:01

Pajaro

Re: Problems with headphones and PulseAudio

You might try pavucontrol, but it also annoys me that pulseaudio abstracts the hardware layer so much. I open gnome-alsamixer when I need to modify the soundcard.

#3 2011-12-11 15:29:22

snack

Re: Problems with headphones and PulseAudio

Thanks Pajaro. So if I understand it is an issue with hardware abstraction done by PulseAudio. I tried pavucontrol but it does not offer anything more than kmix, at first sight.

Board footer