You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-14 06:48:38

JMK

Humble Indie Bundle 4

http://www.humblebundle.com/

Linux is getting it's butt kicked a bit in the overall payments compared to Windows and Mac payments, so let's step it up. :-)

These games look really good. Super Meat Boy is tons of fun.

The other game I was really excited about was Jamestown, and there's already a PKGBUILD in the AUR. However, after installing, all I get is a seg fault:

AL lib: sdl.c:208: SDL_OpenAudio failed: No available audio device
Segmentation fault

Any ideas?

Last edited by JMK (2011-12-16 21:34:17)

#2 2011-12-14 08:14:26

mrhmouse

Re: Humble Indie Bundle 4

Linux average is well ahead of Mac and Windows, as it was in the last three Bundles.
This is first Bundle I won't be buying; but, the last three I payed $15 for and even bought two gift codes at $15 apiece on Introversion.

As far as your problem with SDL, this is the closest thing to a solution I could find: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 78#p997078

Not sure if it will help - I've abandoned PulseAudio in favor of a straight ALSA/JACK setup.

#3 2011-12-14 12:07:55

gregmits

I tried Supermeatboy but I get an error on startup:

ERROR: Missing required OpenGL extensions:
    - GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    - GL_ARB_shader_objects
    - GL_ARB_vertex_shader
    - GL_ARB_fragment_shader
    - GL_ARB_shading_language_100

I am with Ati X1959XTX (R520 I think) and I have libtxc_dxtn installed.

#4 2011-12-14 15:00:06

mx_joao

how i run super meat boy and shank? when i click the bin file nothing happens same with ./superm[...] (it says "file or directory not found") and sh [...] says impossible to run binary file.

arch 64 + kde 4.7.4 + nvidia 290

#5 2011-12-14 15:15:42

marvn

mx_joao wrote:

how i run super meat boy and shank? when i click the bin file nothing happens same with ./superm[...] (it says "file or directory not found") and sh [...] says impossible to run binary file.

arch 64 + kde 4.7.4 + nvidia 290

looks like you need 32b libs...

core i5 4590, x86_64, nvidia 970

#6 2011-12-14 21:25:16

inch

Super Meat Boy: Installed in '.'.
Super Meat Boy: Using amd64 version.
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:612: Context did not connect: Access denied

Fatal Error: MojoShader compile failed!

Do I need to install pulseaudio or is there some kind of alsa wrapper?

#7 2011-12-14 22:14:47

ChemBro

inch wrote:

No, you don't need pulse. The problem is 64bit, as far as I know.

#8 2011-12-14 22:25:54

vkumar

I haven't been able to get any of the humble games to run. I have the required 32-bit libraries installed, but these games either just spew errors or segfault immediately.

(Shank) ...
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so

shank ➤ file /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so                                                                                             
/usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

shank ➤ pacman -Ss alsa | grep installed                                                                                                                   
extra/alsa-lib 1.0.24.1-1 [installed]
extra/alsa-plugins 1.0.24-3 [installed]
extra/alsa-utils 1.0.24.2-3 [installed]
extra/pulseaudio-alsa 1-2 (pulseaudio-gnome) [installed]
multilib/lib32-alsa-lib 1.0.24.1-1 [installed]
multilib/lib32-alsa-plugins 1.0.24-1 [installed]
CaveStoryPlus ➤ ./CaveStory+                                                                                                                               
OS...
Mem...
Graphics...
Framebuffer is incomplete: no error
File...Parsing mod list...
  ...Loaded 5/5 mods.
Menu...
Loading file: UI.bmp
Loading file: csfont.fnt
Loading file: csfont_00.bmp
Input...
Sound...
ALSA lib dlmisc.c:236:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib32/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_pulse.so
CaveStory+: DG/PC/dg_sound_PC.cpp:205: void DGSoundSystem::Init(): Assertion `0 && "Failed to open SDL audio."' failed.
[1]    3552 abort      ./CaveStory+
jamestown ➤ ./Jamestown-amd64                                                                                                                              
[1]    3587 segmentation fault  ./Jamestown-amd64
jamestown ➤ ./Jamestown-x86                                                                                                                                
Assertion failed: false, "OpenGL error - Invalid value." (/home/maximillian/Documents/FinalFormGames/Jamestown/src/RenderContextOpenGl.cpp@169)

Trace:  ./Jamestown-x86(_ZN22RenderContextX11OpenGlC2EP9_XDisplay+0x10) [0x86c0880]
 ./Jamestown-x86(_ZN23ViewportSdlOpenGlWindow11SetupWindowEv+0x6d5) [0x86c56a5]
 ./Jamestown-x86(_ZN23ViewportSdlOpenGlWindowC1ERKSsRK6VectorIiLi2EEib13RefCountedPtrI13DeviceManagerE+0xd76) [0x86cb5b6]
 ./Jamestown-x86(_Z8GameMainv+0x6b1) [0x82a5131]
 ./Jamestown-x86(main+0x26c) [0x81c26dc]
 /lib32/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf3) [0xf7365213]
 ./Jamestown-x86() [0x81c38b1]

Any ideas on how to fix this?

div curl F = 0

#9 2011-12-14 22:50:17

Schnouki
Website

inch wrote:

Don't know about the pulseaudio thing (I use OSS4). But on my laptop I fixed the second error (MojoShader compile failed) by switching from the nouveau driver to the binary nvidia driver.

I also set ran in this way, but I'm not sure if it's necessary:

$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${PWD}/amd64
$ ./amd64/SuperMeatBoy-amd64

(if you don't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, the executable will use system libs instead of the bundled ones)

There's no place like ::1

#10 2011-12-14 23:39:15

mongrol

I won't be getting this one. I've had enough fighting the system to get humble games working and more importantly, they haven't open sourced any games for ages.

#11 2011-12-15 00:20:13

FrozenFox
Website

mongrol wrote:

I won't be getting this one. I've had enough fighting the system to get humble games working and more importantly, they haven't open sourced any games for ages.

Ages? They open sourced darwinia, multiwinia, uplink, AND defcon from the last bundle that *just* came out before this. I see links for the sources on my bundle page a ways below all the binaries, and the message "Introversion is offering every Humble Introversion Bundle customer access to their source code for Darwinia + Multiwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink! ".

Further, I've had no problems running any of the games so far. I ran nightfall and SMB and they worked out of the box for me. Only needed to do the usual chmod +x on the super meat boy binary to make it executable, but that's par for the course on installing linux software [oh right, mxjao, that is likely your problem fyi].. none of the other stuff of other bundles that I tried (read: didn't try everything, but..) gave me problems either, and the packages in aur would help with that if I did..

Edit: Now that I look into it, 3/7 bundles so far include at least 2 source code releases and bundle 2 had one source code released too. All things considered, that isn't bad at all.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2011-12-15 00:33:29)

#12 2011-12-15 03:33:59

mx_joao

I got supermeatboy and bit runner work.

need help with shank...

./Shank
Shank: Installed in '.'.
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) failed: No available video device

kde + nvidia 290 + arch 64

And jamestown.

./Jamestown
Jamestown: Installed in '.'.
Jamestown: Using amd64 version.
Falha de segmentação

i just want to play my games, please help me!

#13 2011-12-15 08:07:54

ChemBro

Super Meat Boy will get a proper 64bit version, afaik, Jamestown should have a 64bit version by now (new version uploaded) and Shank is 32bit only.

#14 2011-12-15 10:47:01

mongrol

FrozenFox wrote:
mongrol wrote:

Ages? They open sourced darwinia, multiwinia, uplink, AND defcon from the last bundle that *just* came out before this. I see links for the sources on my bundle page a ways below all the binaries, and the message "Introversion is offering every Humble Introversion Bundle customer access to their source code for Darwinia + Multiwinia, DEFCON, and Uplink! ".

Ah my mistake. Sorry. I haven't been paying that much attention. I didn't get the Introversion bundle since I already have most of them.

Further, I've had no problems running any of the games so far.

Well I have (mainly incompatibility with Sandybridge drivers, java (OpenJDK please) or bitness issues. This time I'm over it.

I admire what they do and have bought every bundle up to the Introversion one but I've had enough. We need better quality control.

#15 2011-12-15 18:45:32

FrozenFox
Website

Mongrol: Ah. Unfortunate =/

Everyone else: Thanks for the heads up on the 64 bit versions. Those having trouble running the games, have you checked if the games are posted to AUR yet? I thought I saw a few of them, including jamestown.

#16 2011-12-15 20:09:26

z0id

Has anyone managed to run GSB? Here it just hangs at the splash screen.
EDIT: Seems to be a packaging problem http://positech.co.uk/forums/phpBB3/vie … =15#p53387
If you don't want to wait you can download the .deb package, and use those binaries.

Last edited by z0id (2011-12-15 20:49:57)

/usr/bin/drinking

#17 2011-12-15 21:23:30

bananagranola
Website

I don't know if this is helpful, but to get NightSky running, I installed the lib32-mesa package (it was complaining about missing libGLU). Then, to get GSB running, I installed lib32-nvidia-utils. (On another computer with ATI, I didn't install nvidia-utils, obviously, and it worked.) To get Jamestown running after that, I installed libpng12. All 3 are running nicely on x86_64. I installed them without PKGBUILDs, just straight from the download archives.

Last edited by bananagranola (2011-12-15 21:27:57)

#18 2011-12-15 21:42:45

piratebill

bananagranola wrote:

I don't know if this is helpful, but to get NightSky running, I installed the lib32-mesa package (it was complaining about missing libGLU). Then, to get GSB running, I installed lib32-nvidia-utils. (On another computer with ATI, I didn't install nvidia-utils, obviously, and it worked.) To get Jamestown running after that, I installed libpng12. All 3 are running nicely on x86_64. I installed them without PKGBUILDs, just straight from the download archives.

I'll chime in too I guess.  To get shank working (on a 64 bit system) I had to install lib32-nvidia-utils.  Game runs great now, and holy crap its fun.

#19 2011-12-16 05:13:32

3picide

Only ones I got to work in Linux have been Jamestown and Cave Story+. Jamestown was pretty slow (I'm being stubborn and trying to run games on a netbook...). Cave Story+ runs fine (didn't play long, but I'm sure it's fine).

Super Meat Boy gives me the MojoShader compile failed error. Gratuitous Space Battles gives me a dialog window that says "Could not set video mode". I get the feeling these two problems are related to my graphics card drivers. Like I said, I'm using a netbook (Acer Aspire One D255, IIRC), which has an "Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller". I'm pretty sure I've installed the xf86-video-intel. Although, it does need to be updated and I'll try removing Vesa to make sure it's not using that. I'll edit after I've tried those.

I have no hope of running Shank or Bit.Trip.Runner on the netbook, so I'm not even bothering to download.

Haven't tried NightSky, but I have high hopes for that one as Intel Atom is listed in the system requirements.

EDIT: still no luck... same issues. Although NightSky works well (with a little slowdown).

Last edited by 3picide (2011-12-16 07:41:54)

#20 2011-12-16 06:45:54

Anthony Bentley

I like the idea of the bundles, but not when the games are such a pain to install and run on Unix. Paying above average for a game that works less well than on the other platforms is not beneficial to the Linux gaming community in the long term, and will only lead to more painful debugging for future releases.

FrozenFox wrote:
mongrol wrote:

I did buy these. Unfortunately, Introversion releases them under a really restrictive license (that prohibits sharing any code or porting to new platforms, among other things), which has led to little (but granted, nonzero) in the way of community improvements. The source has been available to paid customers for several years, but for the most part there has been no new development beyond a few stalled Subversion branches.

This is in contrast to the “free engine, paid content” model used successfully by Aquaria and Penumbra (and Marathon 2, and Doom 3, and Quake 3, and…). These are trivial to install—certainly when compared to closed‐source games and the Introversion stuff—and are unlikely to break with future releases of libraries or kernels.

On a related note, there is a FOSS Cave Story clone that works great on Unix.

Last edited by Anthony Bentley (2011-12-16 06:46:29)

#21 2011-12-16 08:17:56

gregmits

#22 2011-12-16 09:07:04

KingX

Anthony Bentley wrote:

I like the idea of the bundles, but not when the games are such a pain to install and run on Unix. Paying above average for a game that works less well than on the other platforms is not beneficial to the Linux gaming community in the long term, and will only lead to more painful debugging for future releases.

How are the games a pain to install? I simply extract them in ~/ and run the binary... doesn't get any more trivial than that in my eyes. So far I have had no issues with Jamestown, SMB, Cave Story+ or Bit.Trip.Runner. I did the same with the Introversion bundle and the bundle's before that... games ran flawless from my home directory.

Paying "above average" is about $5 and change right now for which you get SEVEN good games for a ridiculous bargain price. How are the games running "less well" on Linux? I haven't noticed anything running different. Regarding the restrictive license, not every studio is going to follow in the footsteps of id. It's pretty absurd to think that any game that comes out on Linux needs to release its source code so that the "community" can pick up where the devs left off. It does not happen with every game where people contribute in a meaningful way that makes the game better. smile Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of releasing the source and that's fine they have a choice regarding that. There is no need to strong arm everyone into releasing code if they don't want to.

Lets not get too spoiled with these bundles. smile

#23 2011-12-16 09:33:32

ZekeSulastin

Anthony Bentley wrote:

This is in contrast to the “free engine, paid content” model used successfully by Aquaria and Penumbra (and Marathon 2, and Doom 3, and Quake 3, and…).

Uhm, I don't think any of those cited games support your hypothesis at all.  They're nice goodwill gestures, sure, but given the time between game release and engine opening (2.5 years for Aquaria, about 6ish for the idTech 3/4 engines specifically being GPLd after their successor was released, 5 for Marathon done after Bungee's acquisition by MS in 1999 and it's been completely freeware for a while now anyways, 4 years for Penumbra and only after the Humble Bundle it was in passed a milestone) I'd hardly call it a commercial strategy sad

Would static linking be beneficial for these sorts of games, or would it just introduce a different kind of library hell?  It was disappointing when I went to install the Linux VVVVVV and found that the Windows version in WINE played better and with less hassle (glitch in x64 version etc.) ... it'd be at least nice if they could find volunteers of various setups different from their own to help test before release wink

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2011-12-16 09:41:16)

#24 2011-12-16 13:36:15

BlackLotus89

KingX is exactly right.Up and until now I got no problem at all with the games.Most of them are an hour after the release in aur.And even if they weren't it's not hard at all to write a PKGBUILD for every game.
A PKGBUILD  just needs the (and lets face it nearly every game has one) deb file.

ar vx mypackage.deb
tar xfj data.tar.bz2 -C ${pkgdir}

Oh my god nooo please don't do this to me so hard wink
Oh and yes I have problems right now getting supermeatball to run but I guess it's because of nouveau

Edit:
Yup with the nvidia driver it does simply work.

Last edited by BlackLotus89 (2011-12-16 14:53:38)

#25 2011-12-16 17:32:50

piratebill

gregmits wrote:

I tried Supermeatboy but I get an error on startup:

ERROR: Missing required OpenGL extensions:
    - GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object
    - GL_ARB_shader_objects
    - GL_ARB_vertex_shader
    - GL_ARB_fragment_shader
    - GL_ARB_shading_language_100

I am with Ati X1959XTX (R520 I think) and I have libtxc_dxtn installed.

Earlier I said I got shank working on my box..that was with my desktop and with nvidia.  My laptop runs ati and I am getting the same problem as you gregmits.  Did you ever find a way around this?

I am going to try the 64bit deb and turn it into a pkg as BlackLotus89 suggested.  I'll post when I finish.

Last edited by piratebill (2011-12-16 17:54:50)

Board footer