You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-21 06:18:05

Never

[UNSOLVED]Manual Packman install error

I have a distro if Arch that is too old for pacman do what pacman does, from arch build 2.6.22.  So I found this post, I don't have access to sudo, so I just made that script gather those packages at their related versions from that mirror, then I SUed and

pacman -Sf openssl libarchive libfetch pacman

and got this error

pacman: error while loading shared libraries: libexpat.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone with more expertise know what this is, cause I am stuck now.

Edit: abandoned

Last edited by Never (2011-12-22 11:13:45)

#2 2011-12-21 07:06:58

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [UNSOLVED]Manual Packman install error

If you look a bit closer at the script you linked to, it doesn't just install the packages it downloads - it untars them over the root filesystem. That's what you should be doing.

Last edited by tomk (2011-12-21 07:07:16)

#3 2011-12-21 10:20:50

Never

tomk wrote:

If you look a bit closer at the script you linked to, it doesn't just install the packages it downloads - it untars them over the root filesystem. That's what you should be doing.

What line are you referring to? Is it this one?

tar -xvpf ${pkgname} -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL

because if it is, that is the line I didn't include in the script, because I don't have access to sudo. It is suppose to untar like this right?:

# tar -xvpf /tmp/libfetch-2.33-3-i686.pkg.tar.gz -C / --exclude .PKGINFO --exclude .INSTALL
usr/
usr/include/
usr/share/
usr/lib/
usr/lib/libfetch.a
usr/lib/libfetch.so
usr/share/licenses/
usr/share/man/
usr/share/man/man3/
usr/share/man/man3/fetch.3.gz
usr/share/licenses/libfetch/
usr/share/licenses/libfetch/LICENSE
usr/include/fetch.h

I did that for each one and still got that error message with

pacman -Sf openssl libarchive libfetch pacman

#4 2011-12-21 11:44:18

Ramses de Norre

The missing file belongs to the expat package which apparently is needed by libarchive.
So I'd try to extract that package to root as well.

You might end up in an endless cycle of errors like this though, it might be easier to boot a live disc and use pacman's --root parameter to install the packages using a current pacman version while specifying the old install as the root partition. (I never tried this though, it's just a suggestion.)

#5 2011-12-21 12:31:05

Never

Ramses de Norre wrote:

...it might be easier to boot a live disc and use pacman's --root parameter to install the packages using a current pacman version while specifying the old install as the root partition.

I don't even know how to go about doing that, also this version of Arch I have is old, that is why the pacman from it cannot self update, it doesn't recognize the files. I cannot use a current live CD because they do not support boot up options that include "ide-legacy" and "noapic" and "apci=off" which I need or the system will stall post GRUB, but in load up. Can I extract a current pacman from a current live CD?  All of this is the kernel, right? Essentially my kernel cannot change ever or I will lose the ability for grub to detect my disk and their partitions? Since the higher kernels lack those boot up options, right?

Edit: cannot find this library, libbz2.so.1.0, in the package database. How can it be a requirement and not be there?

Edit2:

]# abs
abs: missing CVS synchronization utility.  Install cvsup or csup.

NEAT!

Edit3: Well the .tar.gz of these files have to be out there somewhere, I mean pacman didn't exist on my system before I installed Archlinux, the specific code and dependencies for take the tar.gz have to be out there somewhere, or these install CDs couldn't exist, why getting access to that information is like tracking down the arc of the covenant, is beyond me. Anyway here is an interesting bit of data, the pacman-4.0.0.tar.gz keeps saying:

configure: error: libarchive is needed to compile pacman!

During configure, so let's go get some libarchive-2.8.5.tar.gz, that installed with no issue, good, let's go create pacman:

configure: error: libarchive is needed to compile pacman!

Well I guess libarchive-2.8.5.tar.gz wasn't installed in a method that Arch can see, anyone know how to make it see it?

Last edited by Never (2011-12-21 20:55:52)

Board footer