You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-25 22:57:55

grego

[SOLVED] wlan0 not exists

Being a newbie linux user its realy hard to setup my wireless network and after more than 2 days of extensive forum/wiki reading I gave up and going to ask for some help. Probably its a damn easy to solve, but I just lost in the mysteries:)

Heres the picture:
I have a broadcom wlan card, which requires the "brcmsmac" driver. Wiki sad I dont have to do anything with it, becouse its already in the kernel (Yes I have searched with lsmod | grep brcmsmac, also turned it off/on with rmod/modprobe)
According to wiki the next step should be with iwconfig but I dont have any wlan0 thingy, only lo, eth0. Neither of theme wifi(you probably know it:)

I guess the problem is I cant create that 'device' so any help about the trick is welcome. Thank you for your time and marry xmas(bad joke but xmas is like a unix command xmas -m;)

One more thing, if you need any output from the shell, I need help about how to "copy/paste" it in xfce4. Told you, im a newbie.

Last edited by grego (2012-01-05 19:01:05)

#2 2011-12-25 23:12:24

Gusar

Re: [SOLVED] wlan0 not exists

Did you blacklist the bcma module, as advised on the wiki? If yes and it still doesn't work, we need the output of dmesg and lspci -nn

Last edited by Gusar (2011-12-25 23:13:03)

#3 2011-12-26 00:20:50

/dev/zero

ip link show

#4 2011-12-26 02:43:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

grego wrote:

One more thing, if you need any output from the shell, I need help about how to "copy/paste" it in xfce4. Told you, im a newbie.

Ah, here's a question directed at my only slightly-less-noob level.

If you use XCFE's terminal app you should be able to highlight and right click to get a menu (or use the edit menu) to copy.  You can then paste into the forum (though for any substantial output you should use [ code ] ... [ /code ] tags).

If you're using an xterm or rxvt family terminal you can select the output in a similar fashion, but then simply click to focus on the forum textbox and (with the output still highlighted in your xterm) middle-click on the forum to paste the highlighted region over.

I also have broadcom on a couple of my machines and use brcmsmac on one of them.  As Gusar noted, you'll need to blacklist bcma.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2011-12-26 05:00:06

/dev/zero

Another trick for copy-pasting is to use xsel. Eg, after you synch it from pacman, you could run the command I mentioned earlier like so:

ip link show | xsel -ib

This will store the output from "ip link show" in your clipboard, ready for pasting into the forum.

#6 2011-12-26 07:52:41

darnir

Or you could simply pass the output into a new file:

ip link show > vim iplinkoutput

#7 2012-01-05 18:55:07

grego

Sorry for the late answer, and thanks for all the help I've got.

Gusar wrote:

Did you blacklist the bcma module, as advised on the wiki? If yes and it still doesn't work, we need the output of dmesg and lspci -nn

Yes, but it sad other modules uses it, and I started raging and come here:) After I have blacklisted it, and followed the wiki I have finally solved the problem. Thank you for reminding me to this step.

Thanks for all the tips I've got for the copy paste issue too.

One more thing, I dont know how I can set this board to "solved". If any mod reads it then you may set it and please tell me how to do it.

I have read in the Forum rules thread how to do it...

Last edited by grego (2012-01-05 19:00:07)

#8 2012-01-05 19:00:08

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

grego wrote:

One more thing, I dont know how I can set this board to "solved". If any mod reads it then you may set it and please tell me how to do it.

You just edit your original post and append [Solved] to the title...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer