You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-26 18:21:12

Nanashi

Can't login to my XFCE environment from lxdm [Solved]

Hello all!
Last night I was messing with backgrounds for the greeter and I think I have messed up LXDM in the process. I cannot seem to login into my XFCE environment. I have a gray screen no background, just a login box and the bottom bar. Now my question is: Is there anyway I can access my terminal before the daemon starts up LXDM,or xterm, for that matter?
Thanks for the help!

Also: if this is in the wrong sub forum feel free to move it to the right one.

Last edited by Nanashi (2011-12-27 01:28:04)

#2 2011-12-26 18:26:04

karol
Archivist

Re: Can't login to my XFCE environment from lxdm [Solved]

Pick a liveCD and undo the changes or start in single-user mode https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Si … _User_Boot

#3 2011-12-27 00:43:12

Jasonvw

Well you should be able to switch to the first virtual terminal and kill X if necessary. Just boot as normal and hit ctrl+alt+F1. If the system locks or something when LXDM starts, you can always single it as suggested but you shouldn't need a live DC to do it. When GRUB starts, just hit a for append. Add single after the start options and you will single the box. From there you'll have full terminal access but no network. You can get network in single user mode by simply typing

/etc/rc.d/network start

RAID !=backup

#4 2011-12-27 00:58:35

karol
Archivist

The wiki link I posted tells how to enter the single mode, I only suggested the liveCD because some users are not comfortable with fiddling with the commandline like this :-)
If works, switching to the console is the easiest way.

When you're trying stuff out it's best not to remove files or lines in the config, but rename files or comment the lines out. Also, commenting the changes made helps a lot when stuff breaks / doesn't work as expected.

#5 2011-12-27 01:27:42

Nanashi

Thanks Guys! I got it fixed went into Single User, and fixed my .conf file. Will mark as solved.
Thanks again!
N

Board footer