You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-28 21:16:24

badhat

new Jack2-dbus with Pulseaudio

I'm setting up a music studio and I've followed the WIKI under the "PulseAudio through Jack the new new way" section.

The instructions are not exactly clear to me. Do I have to edit the pulseaudio conf file, load the module module-jackdbus-detect.so, both, or just let dbus launch?

This is what my "/etc/pulse/default.pa" looks like for the jackdbus section

### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
.nofail
#load-module module-jackdbus-detect
.fail
.endif

Must I uncomment the line "load-module module-jackdbus-detect"? When dbus launches at boot, it launches the jack server along with it, yes?

Thank

#2 2012-01-04 13:15:42

jackjackk

Re: new Jack2-dbus with Pulseaudio

Hi badhat,
I'm also testing that setup. After uncommenting the

#load-module module-jackdbus-detect

in "/etc/pulse/default.pa", and changing the autostart command for PulseAudio from

start-pulseaudio-x11

to

jack_control start && start-pulseaudio-x11 && pacmd set-default-sink jack_out && pacmd set-default-source jack_in

(I used gnome-session-properties, since I use gnome)
most things worked. The drawbacks I have found so far are:

1) sometimes I have to manually choose the jack sink in the pavucontrol, for example when executing a

aplay -Dpulse -fdat /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

for the first time. Then pavucontrol will remember it for that application, but it would be optimal to have it as a default

2) sometimes the audio from the chain ALSA -> Pulse -> Jack is a little bit sluggish (problem experienced in Wine and in Audacity, but maybe is just a sample rate or period/nperiods problem) (Audacity supports also JACK natively, so no problem for that, but still...)

3) if I stop the jack server with jack_control stop and try to start it again with jack_control start (even after a pulseaudio --kill), I get the error:

DBus exception: org.jackaudio.Error.Generic: Failed to open server

(this should be related to the fact that pulseaudio keep respawning and prevent jackdbus from taking control of any /dev/snd/* devices)

4) Skype test call is not recording any sound through the pulse system, even though I can see the input level moving according to my voice in pavucontrl

I'll keep investigating, but any contribution is more than welcome.
Thanks,

Giacomo

#3 2012-05-24 21:54:30

voidzero

Hi guys, I'm wondering what you both discovered in the meantime with regards to pulse and jackd. Mind posting some update?

#4 2012-05-25 06:20:59

badhat

Sorry, the computer in question is long gone so I no longer have that configuration to test on. Are you having trouble with PA and jack? The new version is supposed to be jack-aware.

#5 2012-05-29 23:20:39

darkfeline

There's a useful tool called cadence in the AUR.  It has handy start/stop buttons for PulseAudio-JACK bridging, as well as other useful JACK applications and features (like configuring ALSA bridge and starting/stopping A2J MIDI bridge).

Board footer