You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-30 15:17:46

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

How to install Linux in a regular directory?

Hello,

to try new configurations without having to manage new partitions I want to:

1. install Arch Linux in a regular directory, as it is explained by this article from the Wiki;

2. boot it from GRUB. In fact, add an option to GRUB so I can choose to load either the current Linux or the new one installed in a folder.

/dev/sda9 is an ext4 partition with mount point /media/Stuff, and I want to install the new distro in /media/Stuff/Linux.

So is it necessary to format or mount something before installing it? If so, then how to do it? If not, then is it just okay to keep following the instructions in the article?

What gets me confused is the section Prepare a partition for Arch in the article.

Thanks in advance. smile

Last edited by ILoveJapaneseGirls (2012-01-04 04:34:21)

#2 2011-12-30 18:23:34

gbrunoro

Re: How to install Linux in a regular directory?

Hey,

I think that this section is intended to guide those installing Arch on a separate partition. To install in a directory you should "build up a root filesystem in a normal directory, and then create a master tarball from it".

I guess that it would be ok to ignore this step, as afterwards you'll be guided to create the udev nodes on /dev.

#3 2011-12-30 18:27:52

Glorf

You have already formatted partition so only follow the instructions.
If you will have any problems after that, ask.

EDIT: sorry gbrunoro, we were writing in the same time

Last edited by Glorf (2011-12-30 18:29:22)

#4 2011-12-30 19:32:10

ILoveJapaneseGirls
Banned

Okay, so here's what I did so far:

It wasn't necessary to format because it's already formatted (as Glorf said), so I just did all the steps until the section Configure the target system.

Now it says to edit fstab; from the wiki:

Edit your /etc/fstab, remembering to add /, swap and any other partitions you may wish to use. Be sure to use the /dev/sd* (sda1, sda2, sdb1, etc) for the partitions instead of /dev/hd*, as Arch uses the sdxx convention for all drives.

But this section is confusing to me, what am I supposed to change in fstab and how should it look like?

Here is the original fstab:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>	<dir>	<type>	<options>	<dump>	<pass>
tmpfs		/tmp	tmpfs	nodev,nosuid	0	0

It's not necessary to access files "outside of the jail (of chroot)", I just want the system bootable to test new configurations without messing with the rest of the computer.

And then we can go to the GRUB section, which I also did not understand. Just a question: is it possible edit menu.lst from the real /boot/grub adding a new line pointing to /media/Stuff/Linux/boot/ instead of configuring GRUB inside the chroot? It's just a question, we can go there next.

Thanks smile

#5 2012-01-01 16:26:31

gbrunoro

ILoveJapaneseGirls wrote:

Okay, so here's what I did so far:
And then we can go to the GRUB section, which I also did not understand. Just a question: is it possible edit menu.lst from the real /boot/grub adding a new line pointing to /media/Stuff/Linux/boot/ instead of configuring GRUB inside the chroot? It's just a question, we can go there next.
Thanks smile

I'd say it's possible, not sure

Board footer