You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-06 10:08:39

WombleGoneBad

[SOLVED] missing /dev/sda in ramdisk boot

Hi,
I am trying to install arch on a sub-notebook that has neither a cd drive nor a usb boot option.

What i have done is remove the SATA hard disk and plug it into another pc, then use the arch boot disk to install arch on this drive.
I have changed the fstab and the grub menu.lst appropriately (to hd(0,0) and /dev/sda1  instead of hd(1,0) and /dev/sdb1 etc ) but the problem is when i try to boot the hard drive is not being picked up at all.
neither /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 exists (nor /dev/hda or anything that looks like a hard drive).

As a test Instead of using the .img build by the install, i copied the kernel and .img file from the boot disk and set up a new grub entry for this. This DOES pick up the drive fine (as /dev/sda, /dev/sda1 etc) but crashes out i think just due to the (now inappropriate) arch-iso hooks.

I am guessing that i need to either add a module that is required for detecting the SATA drive, or change the mkinitcpio.conf  (i just went with the defaults) but I am not sure what I am missing?
any ideas? should i re-arrange to put some of the hooks before udev in mkinitcpio.conf?
Or am i completely barking up the wrong tree, is there udev stuff configured from the host system that wont work on the target?

any pointers?

Last edited by WombleGoneBad (2012-01-06 11:17:46)

#2 2012-01-06 11:02:17

WombleGoneBad

Re: [SOLVED] missing /dev/sda in ramdisk boot

Ah i think i understand the ramdisk thing a little better. (i found the lsinitcpio command)
It looks like only a single sata_ module is in the image, which is probably wrong for the target device. (the boot disk has a whole host of sata_ modules)
I assume it picked these modules based on the host, so i need to  manually add in what i need for the target...

#3 2012-01-06 11:13:45

WombleGoneBad

Re: [SOLVED] missing /dev/sda in ramdisk boot

All i needed to do was use the 'fallback' image instead of the normal one. This has all the modules needed, as it doesn't use 'autodetect' on the host.

Board footer