You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-08 18:33:15

milso
Website

linux-3.1.8-1-i686 Errors and more

The recent linux updated yielded this:

(1/1) upgrading linux                              [######################] 100%
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ...
>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio.  Please wait...
==> Building image from preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> ERROR: invalid kernel specifier: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux'
==> Building image from preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> ERROR: invalid kernel specifier: `/boot/vmlinuz-linux

I'm not sure how this came about, but obviously rebooting wasn't pretty and (I believe it was during init) gave me:

ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device 'y'.

So I booted from liveCD, mounted everything and used chroot to try installing the package again to which it worked. Rebooting again the regular boot option in grub was broken, but luckily the fallback worked. Even now that I'm inside my system without a liveCD, installing the package again gives the same errors it did originally At this point I think my best bet would be to just copy my fallback options to my normal method and be done with it, but I'd like to know what might have caused it and a more elegant solution. Thanks ahead of time.

#2 2012-01-09 01:47:12

karol
Archivist

Re: linux-3.1.8-1-i686 Errors and more

The fallback image generation fails the same way the default, yet it somehow works.
Have you tried examining your /boot?

#3 2012-01-09 01:54:55

milso
Website

Re: linux-3.1.8-1-i686 Errors and more

Everything appears to be in order in /boot, yes.

Board footer