You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-10 03:29:16

aliasbody
Website

IonSwitch - Enable HDMI on Nvidia Optimus based laptops

Hello Everyone,

I don't know if this is the right place to tell about my adventure, and if not, then please tell me where should I post this.

So I bought an Asus 1215N 1 year ago with the hope that the Nvidia and HDMI will work in a short time, 1 year as passed now and apart of Bumblebee/Ironhide, there is no real deal out there... It is a shame to see a so good hardware wasted but now I can't go back to the past...

One of the things I've bought the netbook for is for 3D Rendering (mostly OpenGL for the University) and the HDMI to watch some movies with my girlfriend. One of the biggest problems found with Bumblebee/Ironhide, is that he doesn't allow to use the HDMI (because of the virtualization).

So I've breen playing around with my laptop and I've found some interesting things, like for example, make the HDMI work with the proprieaty Nvidia Drivers and the OpenSource drivers !

The trick is simple, we have 2 choises :
1 - Use the opensource drivers, and switch manually with xorg or using the script i'm writting (it requires to logout).
2 - Use the stock Nvidia Drivers (from the official repositories) and use on the external screen (HDMI) the entire power of the netbook... cons : no netbook display at all.
2.1 - (I've not found a good way to use the Nvidia drivers from the aur for this... I think I will try better later when I get the time)..

Notice : I just want to remember, this is not a magical step to make the 2 cards work... this trick just disables the internal screen and enables the HDMI and vice-versa, nothing more (for now).

------------------------------------------------------------
Trick 1 --> Using the OpenSource Drivers
------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT :
Until this date, there is no sound available in the OpenSource nouveau drivers using the HDMI.

Install the fallowing package :
- nouveau-dri
- xf86-video-nouveau

And then create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf with this content (provided by the Bumblebee package).
You have to change the BusID option, using the information of your laptopt if you are not using the Asus 1215N.
(to see the bus just write this on the terminal --> lspci | grep nVidia)

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Option         "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device1"
    Driver         "nouveau"
    # This is left in the file so the configure stage won't fail.
    # Should be removed as it's not needed
    BusID "PCI:05:00:0"
EndSection

All you need now, is to connect the HDMI cable and restart X.org, the iamge should appear in the TV Screen but not in your laptop...

To came back to the Intel you just have to remove the file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trick 2 --> Using the Closed Source Nvidia Drivers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Install the fallowing group of packages (because of the dependencies, the opensource mesa drivers using libgl will be removed) :
- nvidia

After the instalation just create the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf with this content (provided by the Bumblebee package) :
You have to change the BusID option, using the information of your laptopt if you are not using the Asus 1215N.
(to see the bus just write this on the terminal --> lspci | grep nVidia)

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device1"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BusID "PCI:05:00:0"
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection

I will try to write a script to switch automaticly between the i915 and the nouveau driver (in the morning because it's 03:27 AM here in Lisbon and I'm tired)...

I hope this helps someone ^^

And for those interested, I've succesfully played an 1080p Flash Video with my Nvidia using the HDMI which is quite fun indeed !

TODO LIST :
- Create a script to switch the drivers and the connectores (Stop the monitor and Start the HDMI, and vice-versa).
- Make this work with the official Nvidia Drivers without uninstalling the Intel Opensource drivers.
- Make some restore mode, because it's a little bit easy to mess with the all thing...

Luis Da Costa,

Last edited by aliasbody (2012-01-10 14:04:44)

#2 2012-01-27 11:31:43

grubshka

Re: IonSwitch - Enable HDMI on Nvidia Optimus based laptops

Hi there,

Just to be sure, your solutions does not work with Bumblebee, right?
I saw that a "Multiple monitors" section was added in the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bu … e_monitors), but it does not work for me.

Regards,

#3 2012-03-03 09:22:12

jarl-haggerty

Re: IonSwitch - Enable HDMI on Nvidia Optimus based laptops

I've been trying to get my laptop to use my TV through the HDMI port and copying your xorg.conf file has given me the most success so far, but it's still far from satisfactory.  My laptop boots, eventually gets to a black screen with a solid cursor in the corner, I see GDM appear on the TV, but my keyboard and touchpad are not responsive.  I thought the computer might be frozen but the clock on the GDM screen is tracking time.  I know very little about X, all I could think of trying was taking the keyboard and mouse sections out of the xorg.conf output made by nvidia-settings and adding that to xorg.conf but nothing changed.  This is my xorg.conf so far

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"