You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-12 00:08:15

jdwieber

[SOLVED]No more sound in flash, but kmix shows a stream

Hello all,

I'm fairly new (and happy that I switched) to Arch .  When I installed Arch on my x86_64 based laptop everything worked fine.  Somewhere along the line I lost sound in flash.  I use KDE with the defaults for sound: Phonon, Pulse, and ALSA.  For my phonon backend I'm using VLC, but have also tried gstreamer.  I first realized the issue in late November and have since been wrestling with it in my spare time to no avail.  I have tried everything in the forums and wikis that I could find (even if it seemed like it didn't apply).  The one difference that I'm experiencing that no one else has posted is that I have a stream show up in kmix when a video is playing, but still have no sound.  It's not muted, and I can move the volume slider with no change.  I have no idea when exactly it broke, or what update may have caused it.  Has anyone had this issue and solved it without posting?  Can anyone offer some troubleshooting advice?  I was previously a Gentoo user of 6+ years and wonder if there  are any Arch tools similar to equery (depends and depgraph flags) that can help me find all the packages installed that are related to flash?  Also, is there anything in Arch that is similar to the Gentoo emerge log?  I would like to clean out everything flash and pulse related and start from scratch, but don't know the best way, or even a clean way, to approach this.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

Regards,

Joseph

Last edited by jdwieber (2012-01-13 18:46:16)

#2 2012-01-12 00:33:30

alexkarro

Re: [SOLVED]No more sound in flash, but kmix shows a stream

#3 2012-01-12 01:40:05

jdwieber

@alexkarro  Thanks for your quick reply and for the links.  Unfortunately, I followed the advice from both links.  I have both lib32-alsa-plugins and lib32-libcanberra-pulse installed.  From what I understand about the first link, my default device is the correct device.  But just in case I'm wrong I pasted the output from aplay and my asound.conf below.  Am I misinterpreting the output to aplay, or configuring my asound.conf wrong?    Originally, when it worked, I got all the config instructions from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio.

Thanks again.

jdwieber@beast:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
jdwieber@beast:~$ cat /etc/asound.conf
# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
}

# Explicit PulseAudio device
pcm.pulse {
  type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
  type pulse
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf:

#4 2012-01-12 02:13:06

alexkarro

Do you have the alsa daemon running? If so restart it and do the same for pulse, kill it and start it again. I think that's what I did after setting up asound.conf.

#5 2012-01-12 03:22:52

jdwieber

<sigh> Still no sound for flash.  All other sounds work (KDE notifications, Amarok, etc), but no flash.  Is there a pacman option to see all the installed packages that depend on a package? For instance to see what packages list pulseaudio, flashplugin, or libflashsupport-pulse as a dependency.  Then I can remove all the packages and start from scratch.

I can't imagine what happened.  All sound (except thunderbird notification) worked correctly when I first built this system.  Now, flash sound is gone and flashplugin crashes sporadically.

#6 2012-01-12 03:31:22

skunktrader

jdwieber wrote:

Is there a pacman option to see all the installed packages that depend on a package? For instance to see what packages list pulseaudio, flashplugin, or libflashsupport-pulse as a dependency.  Then I can remove all the packages and start from scratch.

Install pkgtools then run the command whoneeds

$ whoneeds libpulse
Packages that depend on [libpulse]
  acidrip
  audacity
  backintime
  digikam
  gstreamer0.10-good-plugins
  k3b
  kdeadmin-ksystemlog
  kdebase-konqueror
  kdebase-konsole
  kdegraphics-gwenview
  kdegraphics-kolourpaint
  kdegraphics-kruler
  kdegraphics-okular
  kdesdk-okteta
  kdeutils-filelight
  kdeutils-kcalc
  kdeutils-kcharselect
  kdeutils-kdf
  kdiff3
  kipi-plugins
  kmymoney-git
  ktorrent
  mpd
  mplayer
  phonon-xine
  picard
  qtcurve-kde4
  smplayer
  thunar-thumbnailers
  vlc
  xine-lib
  xine-ui
  yakuake

Last edited by skunktrader (2012-01-12 03:32:19)

#7 2012-01-12 13:39:48

jdwieber

@skunktrader Thanks for that awesome tool.  This will definitely help me track down some issues and clean up my system.

#8 2012-01-13 03:16:50

jdwieber

So, I found that flash is playing to HDMI.  Curiously, when I run the aplay -l command suggested in the first link that alexkarro listed the first card shown is the correct card.  However, when I run a flash video and execute 'pactl list' I get a different story.  Indeed, flash is playing to SINK0 which is my HDMI output.  Also, according to pactl, card0 is the HDMI output, and card1 is the internal audio (opposite of what aplay reports).  My current asound.conf is as follows:

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
}

# Explicit PulseAudio device
pcm.pulse {
  type pulse
}

ctl.pulse {
  type pulse
}

# vim:set ft=alsaconf: 

The first link suggests doing:

pcm.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 1
}

but this ignores pulseaudio.  How do I configure my sound so that the default output is the internal audio (SINK1)?  Note, I already tried configuring it through System Settings->Multimedia->Phonon->Audio Hardware Setup, but that apparently does nothing.  Is there any other information that I can post to get help with this issue?

Thanks again to all that view this post.

#9 2012-01-13 18:48:32

jdwieber

I'm marking this as solved.  For now, I just disabled the HDMI outputs on my sound card and that suffices to let flash audio make it to the internal card.  When I have time, and find a real solution, I'll update this thread.

Cheers.

Board footer