You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-12 17:15:43

jwhendy

pcmanfm alt+arrow shortcuts for "back" and "cd ../" not working

A recent update must have stopped this from working for me. In previous versions, alt+up arrow caused me to go up a directory level, and alt+left arrow caused me to go back to whatever directory I had previously been in. Now alt only causes lines to appear underneath the menu items (as to show what alt+letter combo would open the menu).

Is this occurring on anyone else's pcmanfm?

pcmanfm-mod-nohal has the correct alt+arrow key functionality... so not sure where the breakage is coming from.

#2 2012-08-24 19:21:24

jwhendy

Re: pcmanfm alt+arrow shortcuts for "back" and "cd ../" not working

Went away for a while, recently started happening again. Any thoughts?

#3 2012-09-16 20:21:48

jwhendy

Please. Any suggestions on diagnosing this? It is one of the biggest annoyances on my system. What would cause alt+left arrow (back) and alt+up arrow (cd ../) not to work for navigation in pcmanfm?

#4 2012-09-16 21:18:59

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

I'm sorry no one has answered your posts, but it's probably because no one has any good ideas for you. I have pcmanfm running on two Arch machines and I don't have this problem with either one of them.

Some ideas (things you may have already tried, but you don't mention anything you've tried)

1. Did you do anything or install anything right before this problem started (you mentioned an update -- do you remember anything particular that was updated at that time)?

2. What window manager are you using? Have you tried installing a different window manager to see if the problem persists? On my machine pcmanfm works fine in spectrwm but the keyboard shortcuts do not work at all in cwm.

3. Have you tried a different file manager? If you are unable to fix this problem, could you live with thunar or spacefm instead of pcmanfm?

4. Have you tried removing and reinstalling pcmanfm?

5. Are you using systemd? Did you start using systemd around the same time as the problem started?

6. Are you using any keyboard-trapping utilities, such as xbindkeys?

7. You mention that the problem went away for a while -- what did you do right before it went away, and right before it came back?

8. You say "pcmanfm-mod-nohal has the correct alt+arrow key functionality" -- this is probably significant, but I'm not exactly sure how.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-09-16 21:22:57)

#5 2012-09-16 22:20:51

jwhendy

2ManyDogs wrote:

I'm sorry no one has answered your posts, but it's probably because no one has any good ideas for you. I have pcmanfm running on two Arch machines and I don't have this problem with either one of them.

Thanks for the suggestions. Responses below

2ManyDogs wrote:

1. Did you do anything or install anything right before this problem started (you mentioned an update -- do you remember anything particular that was updated at that time)?

Unfortunately not. My recollection is that pcmanfm was updated, but who knows what else might have come along with it?

2ManyDogs wrote:

2. What window manager are you using? Have you tried installing a different window manager to see if the problem persists? On my machine pcmanfm works fine in spectrwm but the keyboard shortcuts do not work at all in cwm.

I'm using Openbox. I could try another DE/WM, but would prefer not to. I may just to check.

2ManyDogs wrote:

3. Have you tried a different file manager? If you are unable to fix this problem, could you live with thunar or spacefm instead of pcmanfm?

I really don't like spacefm's left side navigation behavior. Clicking over there just takes you to the folder, but you can't up/down arrow to navigate the tree, at least that I've figured out.

2ManyDogs wrote:

4. Have you tried removing and reinstalling pcmanfm?

Inherently, yes, as I've tried other fm's, I've uninstalled it. I could try removing it and any configs though. On that note, I just installed pcmanfm in a virtualbox installation of Arch that I've barely touched so far on my work Windows machine. It should have minimal configs set up. I get the same behavior.

2ManyDogs wrote:

5. Are you using systemd? Did you start using systemd around the same time as the problem started?

I'm not familiar with this. It's installed, but from my perusing of the Arch Wiki, it looks like I'd have to activate it somehow. I have not added systemd to my init line of grub or syslinux.

2ManyDogs wrote:

6. Are you using any keyboard-trapping utilities, such as xbindkeys?

Don't think so. I don't have xbindkeys installed. I checked my rc.conf for openbox to see if I had anything. The closest was Ctrl+Alt+Up to switch to the last workspace, but commenting that out and re-loading openbox did not fix the issue.

2ManyDogs wrote:

7. You mention that the problem went away for a while -- what did you do right before it went away, and right before it came back?

Don't recall this either. I should have taken better notes! My memory vaguely recalls something having to do with numlock, but that's not doing anything anymore.

2ManyDogs wrote:

8. You say "pcmanfm-mod-nohal has the correct alt+arrow key functionality" -- this is probably significant, but I'm not exactly sure how.

Yup -- mod-nohal works. Thanks for reminding me of this, as I'll probably just switch to it for now. I don't know if there was a reason I didn't just stick with that. Perhaps anal retentiveness at wanting to know the source of the issue.

Board footer