You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-13 04:30:32

n125

Editing Gnome Shell context menus

On a small screen like mine, a lot of context menus get cut off by the panel at the top (see screenshot) or the screen edge at the bottom. Sometimes long context menus can be scrolled up and down, but it seems like more often than not, they can't. The screenshot makes this look rather harmless, but I've encountered context menus where I can't get at two or three menu items. This is really annoying (right up there along with windows that are too large and can't be resized), so I was wondering if it is possible to remove context menu items that I don't use, like "Tags" or "Send To". Alternatively, is it possible to somehow reduce the amount of padding between context menu items? I haven't been able to find a solution online or in any of the Gnome Shell tools (gconf, Gnome Tweak Tool, etc). The closest I've come is adjusting the Default Font size in Gnome Tweak Tool, but that affects almost everything instead of just the context menus.

screenshotat20120112195.th.png

Thanks.

#2 2012-01-13 13:22:32

olorian

Re: Editing Gnome Shell context menus

You have to modify the gtk-widgets.css theme file.
From what I can see, you're using Adwaita, so make a copy of /usr/share/themes/Adwaita in your ~/.themes/ [so that it says "/home/$YOUR_USERNAME/.themes/Adwaita" and access gtk-3.0/gtk-widgets.css. The voices you should edit are the ones with "menuitem": the fastest way is to reduce all the "padding" values you find in any .menuitem section of the file until you get the result you wish for.
A similar operation should be done for gtk-2.0/gtkrc as well, of course.
Hope that helps.

Board footer