You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-13 18:52:33

Slighooker

[SOLVED] Asus eee pc 1015px Elantech driver

I have just installed Arch Linux on my Asus 1015px netbook. Mostly, everything is going well, except for my touchpad and some of the function keys. The Elantech touchpad somewhat works. I can move the cursor around the screen and use the buttons to click. I can't get the other functions to work, like tapping the touchpad, scrolling, etc.

I am using kernel 3.1.8.
xinput -list gives:

Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
    Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    Logitech USB Receiver                   	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    Logitech USB Receiver                   	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad                	id=15	[slave  pointer  (2)]

It just seems like the more I read, the more I am getting confused. A lot of the threads here mention to either install synaptics or are asking what synaptics configurations are. The Synaptics package mentions that it is for Synaptics and ALPS touchpads. Since this is an Elantech touchpad, I am not sure I should install the Synaptic package. Will the Synaptics package work with my Elantech touchpad? Also, I thought the idea of installing the package was so that the touchpad was recognized as a touchpad and not a mouse, I could be wrong.  Is there another driver I should try?

Last edited by Slighooker (2012-01-13 22:48:00)

#2 2012-01-13 19:19:00

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Asus eee pc 1015px Elantech driver

Did you read the synaptics wiki, specifically the part at the end which that link directs to?

As written it sounds like *some* elantech touchpads need something different ... which would also imply that some do not.

Synaptics is highly configurable and does just what you are looking for.

I'd recommend installing synaptics, following the wiki, then if it doesn't work - again following the wiki - install the elantech aur package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2012-01-13 19:30:12

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It looks like the synaptics package IS for your touchpad as well.  The other AUR package is the solution to it being detected as a mouse instead of a touchpad.  Since you don't have that problem - just set up synaptics.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2012-01-13 20:33:42

Slighooker

Hmm, I must of missed that last part on the wiki or ... I don't know, like I said, I started getting confused. Ok, I will install the synaptic package and see how everything goes. I just kind of remember that my Asus was not saying it was a mouse, so maybe my mind just kind of ignored the logic that the synaptic package would work.

Edit: Just installed the Synaptics package and it is working. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Slighooker (2012-01-13 20:53:00)

Board footer