You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-14 08:37:18

rg_arc

How to change the default photo viewer from gthumb to shotwell

I know this is a simple and easy fix but I just haven't found where to change the defaults. I remember changing the default browser as well as the default text editor and the default word processor a while ago but I can't remember where to look.  I looked in Dconf-editor and Gconf-editor as well as the advanced settings program and still couldn't find what I was looking for.

#2 2012-01-14 08:45:46

quantumfunk

Re: How to change the default photo viewer from gthumb to shotwell

You just want to right click on any picture that is the file type you want, like any .png and then on the General tab there's a drop down menu for "Open with" and when when you set it there it will apply to all pictures of that type.

#3 2012-01-14 08:50:10

rg_arc

well for some reason... even after I have been having to right click and  right click and right click again to choose what program to open these photos it still automatically opens with gthumb and I can't figure out how to change that.

#4 2012-01-14 15:09:22

Lennie

I had the same problem, where .png for some strange reason wanted to be opened with Inkscape... I several times chose 'open with gimp', but next time it again tried to open with Inkscape. The solution was to not choose gimp from the suggested alternative, but 'open with other application', and in the windows that open you can mark that it should remember your choice.

#5 2012-01-14 16:40:00

Varg

Right click and pick properties. In one of the tabs you can set the default application but you need to do it for every file type.
I assume that you are using gnome ? In the system settings panel > system you can set some default apps to.

#6 2012-01-14 20:43:46

stefanwilkens

rg_arc wrote:

well for some reason... even after I have been having to right click and  right click and right click again to choose what program to open these photos it still automatically opens with gthumb and I can't figure out how to change that.

Did you also remember to set this application as default?

Please post the contents of these two files:

~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list
~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

Arch i686 on Phenom X4 | GTX760

Board footer