You are not logged in.

#226 2012-05-25 21:47:53

el mariachi

Re: SpaceFM - A Customizable File Manager

I imagine most of spacefm's users don't care about this points, but they are what I find more harmonious in pcmanfm. The rest works for me with the context stuff thanks wink
1Panel color (which is not set because to gtk that panel is actually a toolbar?)
2Thin line instead of the thick one used now
3again thin line.

also: is it possible to make the "devices" auto-hide if there are no removable/showable devices?

and finally: are these things which I can hack easily just for myself, or is there a lot to change? (I don't have any experience, but learning doesn't hurt anyone hehe)

I imagine the majority of people don't really care about this and, to be honest, I prefer a working filemanager (which it is and udevil is pure awesome) than a pretty one.
That said I'm using spacefm anyway, because it works well big_smile

editit seems it's all done by my gtk theme. I'll try to tweak it to give the same results to spacefm.
What is the widget class used on the "sidebar" (bookmarks, devices, tree)?
My question about making devices auto-hiding remains wink

Last edited by el mariachi (2012-05-26 17:51:22)

#227 2012-05-26 03:57:36

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

IgnorantGuru,

Would it be possible to use provide a keybinding for exit. The best would be "Ctrl+Q" I find it annoying that I have to use the mouse to close the file manager. Or is this something that I missed in the 10 pages here?

As usual, nice work on this. I use quite a few apps/scripts you created including devmon (although I haven't moved to udevil yet, but I will test it out over the weekend) and sandfox and now spacefm. This could soon replace my pcmanfm even though my gui fm usage is very minimal.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#228 2012-05-26 17:52:02

el mariachi

edited my original post above^
"What is the widget class used on the "sidebar" (bookmarks, devices, tree)?
My question about making devices auto-hiding remains "

#229 2012-05-27 00:54:59

IgnorantGuru
Website

el mariachi wrote:

1Panel color (which is not set because to gtk that panel is actually a toolbar?)
2Thin line instead of the thick one used now
3again thin line.

Yeah as you found these are theme dependent, though I may take another look at the border widths.

also: is it possible to make the "devices" auto-hide if there are no removable/showable devices?

An interesting idea.  Problem is that the only access to the devices menu is by right-clicking there, so if it was hidden you couldn't, for example, decide to show all internal drives. Also in case you didn't notice, the one button on the toolbar hides the devices list - not automatic but pretty quick to hide it when you're not using it.  I guess that might be an answer to the auto-hide - the user could bring it back with that button or with the menu.  I'll ponder it.  The real issue with things like this is where to put all the options without making the UI out of control - some users already complain it does too much - usually in the same email where they ask something to be added.  smile  I would like to redo the prefs dlg so that I can offer more micro options in an out-of-the-way place.

What is the widget class used on the "sidebar" (bookmarks, devices, tree)?

All of them plus the file list are gtktreeview widgets.  Some are exo variations depending on mode (icon view vs list view, etc).  You can definitely hack it pretty easily - just fork the code on github and take a look at the gtk docs.

Thanks for the input.

#230 2012-05-27 01:02:30

IgnorantGuru
Website

Inxsible wrote:

IgnorantGuru,

Would it be possible to use provide a keybinding for exit. The best would be "Ctrl+Q" I find it annoying that I have to use the mouse to close the file manager. Or is this something that I missed in the 10 pages here?

You can set any key for most menu items using design mode and the key item.  Ctrl-Q might be a good idea.  To some extent I've been leaving many of the keys unconfigured so user's have a little room to 'move in' - instead of everything already being filled they can choose their own.  spacefm is intended to mold itself to your preferences and uses, so by all means set things how you like - defaults are just defaults.  Also, I tend to use Alt-F4 to close it - a universal key among all windows, instead having to remember each one.  But I'll consider the Ctrl-Q default.  Thanks for your feedback.

#231 2012-05-30 00:02:02

IgnorantGuru
Website

For those interested in some testing, the spacefm next branch (spacefm-git in the AUR) now uses mimeapps.list instead of defaults.list, with some improvements as detailed in the comments here.  Also, using design mode right-click or F2 on a mime app in the Open context submenu now opens a menu which serves as a basic mime associations editor.  Thanks for any feedback on these changes before the next release.

Otherwise you'll be able to get these features in the release following 0.7.7.

Last edited by IgnorantGuru (2012-05-30 00:07:09)

#232 2012-05-30 17:33:22

IgnorantGuru
Website

tri1976 wrote:

I have a cd image file named cd.iso and spacefm shows its file type to be application/x-cd-image.  I change its filename to cd.img and spacefm shows its file type as  application/x-executable.  I change its filename to cd.iso~ and spacefm shows its file type as application/x-trash.  I checked all 3 filenames with file and xdg-mime command, and all show file type to be application/x-iso9660-image.  I thought mime file type is supposed to be independent of file extension but it seems like spacefm is using file extension to determine mime type.  Is this the intended behavior?

Your answer is here.  If you have any additional comments please add them there if convenient - thanks.

#233 2012-05-30 20:12:37

ss2

IgnorantGuru wrote:
ss2 wrote:

These are the errors the console responds with:

No errors there - output looks somewhat normal.  Except this:

tar --exclude='/*' --keep-old-files -xzf '/home/ss2/Downloads/Rename-1.10.spacefm-plugin.tar.tar'

Why is that "tar.tar"?  Looks like the file is "Rename-1.10.spacefm-plugin.tar.xz".  Unless it's named ".tar.xz", spacefm will use the -z option to tar instead of -J (only tar.gz and tar.xz are valid plugin archive formats).  But if that was the problem, I would think tar would spit out an error and you'd get a popup error in spacefm.

Thanks for the reply. The notification almost went lost. wink

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that the file was named .tar.tar. It turns out that it was indeed an xz file and can't really say that I would deliberately rename a file like that.. After that, I just gave it a second try today and it turns out that plugins can be installed as if nothing ever was wrong. Though the version used today was 0.7.6-2.
It was the same version I used then when I wrote my issue then. So, now I can't really tell where the problem was now.
But will still have a go through a terminal and see what the output says.

Additionally, it's about time I get to write some bug reports. I'm not really sure if this thread is intended for this abuse. smile

Edit: quote clean up..

Last edited by ss2 (2012-05-30 20:14:51)

#234 2012-06-01 01:46:22

IgnorantGuru
Website

ss2 wrote:

Additionally, it's about time I get to write some bug reports. I'm not really sure if this thread is intended for this abuse. smile

I'm used to it.  smile  These threads are good for discussion and some questions.  Bugs are a little easier to organize and track if posted to the tracker - doesn't have to be wordy.  If I need more info I'll ask.

Thanks for the followup.

UPDATE: network urls (smb:// nfs:// ftp:// ) are now usable in the next branch (requires udevil).  And mounted networks and mounted files (loops) can now be displayed in the devices list and unmounted from there.  Also, spacefm can now auto-create xml files to help you alter mime type definitions.  RIght-click on an app in the Open submenu for the mime menu.

#235 2012-06-02 18:07:08

el mariachi

With the latest incorporation of udev into systemd-tools spacefm and udevil stopped working due to missing libudev. Am I the only one experiencing this?

#236 2012-06-02 18:23:06

anonymous_user

Try recompiling udevil-git?

#237 2012-06-02 19:42:39

el mariachi

Now I know! Thanks big_smile

#238 2012-06-02 22:04:34

sonoran

el mariachi wrote:

With the latest incorporation of udev into systemd-tools spacefm and udevil stopped working due to missing libudev. Am I the only one experiencing this?

Didn't have any problem here. On my Arch-Testing installation which I always update first, spacefm updated to 0.7.7-1 at the same time as the udev->systemd-tools change. I am still using my original udevil: udevil-git (20120523-1).

The same happened when I updated my Arch-Work system. Very smooth.

#239 2012-06-02 22:07:42

el mariachi

I had to rebuild spacefm-git and udevil-git. It's working flawlessly now.

#240 2012-06-04 09:17:49

Paramvir
Website

For some reason the latest update from repos version 0.7.7-1 - the ability to create Archives has stopped.

Have I missed something ???

#241 2012-06-04 09:56:09

fabertawe

@Paramvir: it's working for me. A specific archive type or all?

Ryzen 9 5950X, X570S Aorus Pro AX, RX 6600, Arch x86_64

#242 2012-06-04 11:57:30

Paramvir
Website

fabertawe wrote:

@Paramvir: it's working for me. A specific archive type or all?

Hey thanks - I just checked - it does not work with any of the compressions - though thunar is working - I am using xfce 4.10 with compiz

shall thrash it out tomorrow smile

cheers

#243 2012-06-05 07:32:55

Paramvir
Website

OK have tested for Archiving as well as un-archiving - neither work.

Also unable to mount cd rom - usb loading fine. The cdrom error says mount: unknown filesystem type 'udf,iso9660' exit status 32. earlier all was working fine after I got rid of udisks2

Any ideas???

#244 2012-06-06 03:02:37

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

OK have tested for Archiving as well as un-archiving - neither work.

Also unable to mount cd rom - usb loading fine. The cdrom error says mount: unknown filesystem type 'udf,iso9660' exit status 32. earlier all was working fine after I got rid of udisks2

Any ideas???

First I would suggest running spacefm in a terminal so you can see more info.  The cdrom error could be a problem in your fstab - odd error from mount.  Try running mount directly.  You may be dealing with some system level problems.

#245 2012-06-06 03:50:50

Paramvir
Website

IgnorantGuru wrote:

[First I would suggest running spacefm in a terminal so you can see more info.  The cdrom error could be a problem in your fstab - odd error from mount.  Try running mount directly.  You may be dealing with some system level problems.

Good day smile

OK this is what I have found.

I tried the git version as well. Finally I down graded to 0.7.6 the earlier version in the repos - Got an error on the cl missing libudev.so.0 - so created a soft link and got that version working again - everything started working - mounting of cdrom and the compression working as well.

Reinstalled the latest repo ver 0.7.7-1 - the mounting issue got resolved - not able to compress or un-compress.

Removed the libudev.so.0 soft link and system has no changes - mounting working but compression - no go.

Rebooted the system and mounting works but compression issue unresolved but works with 0.7.6-2

When I noticed the problem after upgrade I also installed udevil [he he it is the name] nothing helped tho have still got it installed and left the "mount command" blank for auto detection - well that part is working.

Oh and another thing - I have to "Remove" the CD by right clicking on the device else the old name remains and if I insert a new CD it will still hold on to the old mount point though in the devices thing it shows the new CD. But if I use "Remove" it works fine.

thanks for your help smile

#246 2012-06-06 11:36:39

IgnorantGuru
Website

Good day,

Paramvir wrote:

I tried the git version as well. Finally I down graded to 0.7.6 the earlier version in the repos - Got an error on the cl missing libudev.so.0 - so created a soft link and got that version working again - everything started working - mounting of cdrom and the compression working as well.

The link is not a good approach - can create problems.  You always want to use spacefm and udevil built with your current version of libudev.  To use 0.7.6, build it new or use the self-extracting installer (which is equivalent to a manual build).

For the compression problem, please run spacefm in a terminal so we can see stdout.  In a terminal window run:

killall spacefm  # makes sure no instances are running
spacefm

With that terminal window left open, in spacefm create a tar.gz archive, then check the terminal window for output.  It should report the tar commands spacefm is issuing.

Oh and another thing - I have to "Remove" the CD by right clicking on the device else the old name remains and if I insert a new CD it will still hold on to the old mount point though in the devices thing it shows the new CD. But if I use "Remove" it works fine.

This is a known issue with spacefm 0.7.7 and prior.  Without udisks or a udev rule (used in some distros), a cd ejected without unmounting first will leave it mounted (typical linux behavior).  The next spacefm release after 0.7.7 will address this.  Currently spacefm-git will unmount removed devices if they are set to automount in spacefm, although I may reconsider that restriction before the release.  In any event this behavior should improve with the next release.  Until then you can middle-click on the cdrom device to unmount and eject it, or right-click and select Remove.  Or if you already ejected it, in the path bar in spacefm enter (including the '$'):

$ udevil umount /dev/sr0

#247 2012-06-06 15:32:23

Paramvir
Website

Thanks

Have tried using the Archive from the terminal with latest repo release 0.7.7-1

TASK_COMMAND=zip  -r '/home/param/bin/conky/conkywx/wx-readme.txt.zip' 'wx-readme.txt' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -e  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-5cc874dd.tmp/04e62afe-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 21578
Unknown option "/tmp/spacefm-param-5cc874dd.tmp/04e62afe-tmp.sh"

This is what I get when trying to compress a single file ...

#248 2012-06-06 16:38:35

IgnorantGuru
Website

Paramvir wrote:

Have tried using the Archive from the terminal with latest repo release 0.7.7-1

TASK_COMMAND=zip  -r '/home/param/bin/conky/conkywx/wx-readme.txt.zip' 'wx-readme.txt' ; fm_err=$?; if [ $fm_err -ne 0 ]; then echo; echo -n '[ Finished With Errors ]  Press Enter to close: '; read s; exit $fm_err; fi
SPAWN=/usr/bin/terminal  -e  /bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-5cc874dd.tmp/04e62afe-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 21578
Unknown option "/tmp/spacefm-param-5cc874dd.tmp/04e62afe-tmp.sh"

This is what I get when trying to compress a single file ...

It looks like your terminal program needs the command quoted.  spacefm knows to do this with some terminals but doesn't know /usr/bin/terminal - what terminal program is that? 

To avoid this problem you'll need to set a different terminal program in View|Preferences|Advanced.  Thanks for the report.

#249 2012-06-06 16:51:03

anonymous_user

IgnorantGuru wrote:

It looks like your terminal program needs the command quoted.  spacefm knows to do this with some terminals but doesn't know /usr/bin/terminal - what terminal program is that?

It's Xfce's terminal, simply named terminal:

http://www.xfce.org/projects/terminal/

#250 2012-06-06 17:06:24

Paramvir
Website

That is Xfce4 terminal and with 0.7.6-2 the output as below

TASK_COMMAND=zip  -r '/home/param/bin/conky/conkywx/wx-readme.txt.zip' 'wx-readme.txt'
SPAWN=/bin/bash  /tmp/spacefm-param-226f301a.tmp/3ddd33e1-tmp.sh  run
    pid = 14136
child finished  pid=14136 exit_status=0

I can get the newer spacefm to compress if I use xterm - but I do use terminal quite a bit - let me see how to get it working.

Board footer