You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-19 20:22:25

karol
Archivist

Multiple bug reports concerning the same issue

Currently Arch bugtracker sports a cautionary note:

Please read this before reporting a bug:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rep … Guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in Unsupported. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!

It seems to be doing its job.

However, I've noticed the bugtracker getting waves of duplicate reports. Somebody reports a bug, the report gets closed for one reason or another and a couple hours later somebody else opens a similar / identical report that gets closed as a duplicate of the first one. This situation can repeat itself 5-6 times. A bit wasteful and irritating.

I'm afraid users developed blindness to such notes, but maybe there's something we can do (i.e. add to this note) to prevent getting so many duplicate bug reports? These duplicates waste some developer's time and also it's a time wasted on the side of the reporter.
How about we suggest checking the closed - or at least recently closed - reports?

#2 2012-01-19 20:45:59

Lone_Wolf

Re: Multiple bug reports concerning the same issue

I have had that happen to me atleast 1 time, and i think it has to do with the search function in the bugtracker.

Default setting is to search only OPEN bugs.

Maybe status should not be set to [closed] immediately, but to [open but resolved] first ?
after say 7 days bugs with resolved status could then be set to closed automatically.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2012-01-19 20:57:06

karol
Archivist

No no no no no.
The search option is there and you can even make a nice shell alias to search e.g. all statuses: open and closed but only those changed e.g. from 2012-01-17 to 2012-01-20 (it's tomorrow for me): https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?st … =&do=index

How exactly to name the bug is another problem: xorg, screenlock, xkb?

#4 2012-01-19 21:28:51

Lone_Wolf

karol,  seems you misunderstand me.

The default search option on the bugtracker for statuses is "all open tasks"

possible scenario :
user X opens a bug report for foo
Dev Y closes it 2 hours later

User Z comes along next day, searches for bugs on foo and finds nothing since X's bug report is CLOSED.
user Z creates a new bugreport.

A better solution then my previous one would seem to have the bugtracker only show advanced options, so everyone sees that only open bug reports are searched

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2012-01-19 21:32:28

karol
Archivist

A note saying "only open bug reports are searched by default" should be enough.
I don't want to clutter the layout too much and I doubt people would notice what you're trying to show them - too many options so it's best to ignore them all :-)

#6 2012-01-19 23:17:46

karol
Archivist

The pacman section of the bugtracker https://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?pr … x&switch=1 has a note similar to what I'm thinking about, but it's missing some key info, like searching for the aleady closed reports:

Welcome to the Pacman bug tracker. Please search the current bugs and feature requests before filing a new one! Use advanced search and select "Search in Comments".

Can we get away with adding

Please search the bugtracker before posting. Only open bug reports are searched by default; use the advanced options to search e.g. only recently closed reports.

If a bug you wanted to report is already here
* if it's open:
DO add important information or attach a patch.
DON'T add 'me too' comments.

* if it's closed:
DO request reopening if you think the issue isn't fixed.
DON'T open a new report for the same bug.

This would have to be printed for every section of the bugtracker.

Board footer