You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-22 19:37:52

cubisttriangle

[SOLVED] Sudo and seteuid issues

A couple of days ago, something strange happened to my user account.  I  couldnt log into my window manager (enlightenment) as a non-root user.  Also, each time I would try to issue a command using sudo, it would return some error about seteuid (I can't rememer exactly what it said).  So I fiddled around with the sudoers file to make sure I had sudo access (which I now do), but I still can't issue the startx command as a non-root user or without sudo.  I suspect it has something to do with the seteuid error, but I don't know what to do about it.  If I run startx, it returns:

Fatal server error: Cannot move old log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to "/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old"
   xinit: givingup
   xinit: unable to connect to X server: Address family not supported by protocol
   xinit: server error

I tried changing the permissions on these files, which didn't work.  Hours of google searching hasn't helped much, but here is a link to a page that describes a problem as similar to mine as I could find:  http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=195.0

It mentions this:
   BTW, the "Can't open /var/log/Xorg.o.log" is possibly because "set uid" became unset in the tcz conversion - does "ls -l /usr/local/bin/Xorg" show an "s" in there somewhere?"
but I don't even have that file to try to use their solution.

/home/user/.xinitrc contains only 1 line:  exec enlightenment_start

Please help me figure what to do about the seteuid or setuid, so I can run startx as a non-root user, again.  Thanks!

Last edited by cubisttriangle (2012-01-22 22:45:03)

#2 2012-01-22 22:22:12

smudge

Re: [SOLVED] Sudo and seteuid issues

Try, in a terminal:

whereis Xorg
Xorg: /usr/bin/Xorg /usr/share/man/man1/Xorg.1.gz

ls -la /usr/bin/Xorg
-rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 1.9M Dec 17 09:18 /usr/bin/Xorg*

^ that's the "s" you're looking for I think. smile

#3 2012-01-22 22:43:32

cubisttriangle

Re: [SOLVED] Sudo and seteuid issues

Awesome! Thank you, smudge! To fix:

$ whereis Xorg
   Xorg: /usr/bin/Xorg /usr/share/man/man1/Xorg.1.gz

$ ls -la /usr/bin/Xorg
   -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1.9M Dec 17 01:18 /usr/bin/Xorg

$ sudo chmod +s usr/bin/Xorg
   -rwsr-sr-x 1 root root 1.9M Dec 17 01:18 /usr/bin/Xorg

After these commands, I could get into my window manager again without root privileges.

Board footer