You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-26 10:02:39

Eit

Wrong time issues

I'm writing here because recently this problem is really starting bothering me.
Some months ago I've setup my laptop with arch (+ win7 dual boot) and a minimal configuration ( just because I didn't want useless stuff and I didn't want to waste much time installing feature I don't need out of home).
I've just ignored the time issue on my laptop since I wasn't used to use any laptop and I've kept hwclock in the rc.conf .
I've noticed many times the hwclock and consequently the system clock weren't correct so sometimes I had manually changed them.
Problems started when at boot time I've started having problems with hdds checking, as you may imagine it's endend up noticing hdds have been controlled 1 month in the future and since I'm not very sure about manually performing the commands to bypass the problem, I've always solved the situation changing manually the hwclock once again and rebooting my laptop.
Now I've ended up having every time to do this and to clear cookies on my browser at each boot to login in various accounts.
Should I start using NTPD instead of hwclock ?
Is the fact I've a dualboot and/or the fact I often use the laptop removing the battery affecting the internal watch ?
Once I've sorted this thing how can I bypass the time check at boot time performing manually the check ? (I've a check on end of February 2012)

Thanks in advance for replies

#2 2012-01-26 10:47:59

swanson

Re: Wrong time issues

Instead of hwclock in rc.conf I use this;

ntpd -qg &

hwclock --systohc

in /etc/rc.local. I think it's enough for a desktop/laptop user. Note; ntpd might need some configuring beforehand, time servers and the like.

#3 2012-01-26 18:28:54

tum

I had time issue since last week on my pc , bought yesterday new CMOS battery and problem is gone though my motherboard is 4 years old.
How random!

#4 2012-01-26 18:36:22

swanson

Newer knew laptops had CMOS batteries. If it were a desktop i'd go for that directly, with those time differences.

Well, my advice about ntpd might come in handy anyway - it adjusts the time at boot and quits; no daemons running.

#5 2012-01-26 18:58:09

kcirick

My understanding is that if you're dual-booting with windows, you set HARWARECLOCK="localtime" in rc.conf (despite the warning about how it is discouraged). I run this set up and it's all good so far

#6 2012-01-26 19:09:30

alphaniner

I dual boot with windows.  I just let it tell the incorrect time, and make sure it never touches the clock (turn off ntp, disable adjustment for daylight savings).

But even if you let windows mess with the clock, it shouldn't change by days - much less months - unless your clock has issues to begin with.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#7 2012-01-26 22:09:31

Eit

Thanks for help, I'll try putting ntpd at boot and putting localtime as hardwareclock in rc.conf. I hope this will work (LOL at CMOS battery replacement solution smile  )

Board footer