You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-02 10:22:08

sven

[NEW] Partimage

This program is very useful if you would like to make images of whole partitions. A nice addon to AUR's other harddrive tools. Here's a clip of description from that page:

--------------------
* First you can restore your linux partition if there is a problem (virus, file system errors, manipulation error) . When you have a problem, you just have to restore the partition, and after 10 minutes, you have the original partition. You can write the image to a CD-R if you don't want the image to use hard-disk space.

* This utility can be used to install many identical PCs. For example, if you buy 50 PCs, with the same hardware, and you want to install the same linux systems on all 50 PCs, you will save a lot of time. Indeed, you just have to install on the first PC and create an image from it. For the 49 others, you can use the image file and Partition Image's restore function.
----------------------

I tried to make the package myself but got into troubles with libnewt that is needed for compilation. I would be greatful if someone could take over the making of this package. Here are the things I managed to do this far:

partimage:
PKGBUILD
libnewt:
PKGBUILD

#2 2005-07-02 23:13:36

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [NEW] Partimage

Here's newt:

# Contributor: Tom Killian <tomk@runbox.com>
# Maintainer: Tom Killian <tomk@runbox.com>

pkgname=newt
pkgver=0.51.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Not Erik's Windowing Toolkit - text mode windowing with slang"
url=""
depends=(slang)

source=(http://devel.santafelinux.com/source/$pkgname-$pkgver/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('98567d5a18535e3a926dca5b4527b4a9')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

A few things to note -
1. I couldn't find a newt website, so I'm not sure how supported, or supportable, newt is.
2. I found a more recent release, as in the PKGBUILD, on a completely unrelated website (see point 1!).
3. There is an Arch newt package in extra, but AFAICS it is actually newt-perl - at any rate, it doesn't include any of the files in the newt package generated above. I'll put it on Flyspray.

Right, on to partimage. I can't get this to compile, and I'm not knowledgeable enough to decipher the error message (see below). Here's the PKGBUILD anyway:

#Contributor: Sven Kauber <celeon@gmail.com>

pkgname=partimage
pkgver=0.6.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Partition Image saves partitions in many formats to an image file"
url="http://www.partimage.org"
depends=('zlib' 'bzip2' 'lzo' 'newt' 'slang' 'openssl' 'libmcrypt')

source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/partimage/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('ee56df4a6be1f78f53dc48454655aa8a')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

and the error message:

Making install in po
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/abs/local/partimage/src/partimage-0.6.4/po'
/bin/sh `case "./mkinstalldirs" in /*) echo "./mkinstalldirs" ;; *) echo ".././mkinstalldirs" ;; esac` /var/abs/local/partimage/pkg/usr/share
/bin/sh: .././mkinstalldirs: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install-data-yes] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/partimage/src/partimage-0.6.4/po'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

With any luck, someone who knows a bit more about this stuff will drop in.

#3 2005-07-03 06:09:16

sven

The compilation of your newer newt worked fine here, too smile I found a topic on the program's forum about that directory error.

EDIT: I got it ready - I set in PKGBUILD sed to fix some things in Makefile. Now I'll test the program at first.

Now I am checking how that daemon part of the program should work correctly. It needs at least extra user to be added and something more.

EDIT: location of /etc needs to be fixed in PKGBUILD

EDIT: everything seems to work like it should. I set up partimaged daemon on one computer and started client on the other at single user mode. Then sent comporessed and encrypted partition part via network and it was directly saved on the computer that ran the partimage daemon.

tomk, when you have added newt to aur, I'll add this package, too - so  others can get them both from there.

Meanwhile here are the files needed to make the package:
PKGBUILD
partimage.install
EDIT: and the daemon

#4 2005-07-03 21:56:11

tomk
Forum Fellow

sven wrote:

tomk, when you have added newt to aur, I'll add this package, too - so  others can get them both from there.

I'm just waiting for a response on Flyspray. I don't want to put a newt package in the AUR, when there is also one in the extra repo - even if the extra one is incorrect. You could always add partimage to the AUR anyway, with a comment  pointing to this thread for the newt PKGBUILD. I'll post here with any updates.

#5 2005-07-04 09:42:52

sven

I added it to AUR now

Board footer