You are not logged in.

#26 2012-01-30 18:27:56

skunkos
Website

Re: [Solved]All wireless networks have stopped working

Yes it did. Where can i obtain previous kernel packages? I did pacman cache cleaning some time ago.

#27 2012-01-30 18:38:55

bkadoctaj

skunkos wrote:

Yes it did. Where can i obtain previous kernel packages? I did pacman cache cleaning some time ago.

I've used this server before:
http://schlunix.org/archlinux/core/os/

Cheers and good luck!  smile

#28 2012-02-01 20:16:37

z3r0acidk

maltem wrote:

Thanks for editing the OP to mention the workaround, that made it easy for me.

As for setting module options permanently, I would usually do it via modprobe.conf:

#
# /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf
#

options ath9k nohwcrypt=1

This solves it. Thanks!

#29 2012-02-02 13:15:36

Glinx

Problem fixed! (for me at least)

I'll try to keep this concise. As a one finger typist this could otherwise be stressful.
WEP encryption was the problem. Changing the house router to WPA solved the kernel 3.2.2 issue.
Kernel upgrade now complete.

The bug for this can be seen at; http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ker … ocus=84626
The patch is being worked on now.

The “Found hardware: "HDA-Intel" "Nvidia MCP77/78 HDMI..." that then showed on kernel 3.2.2 booting was fixed from either re-booting for a second time or, the sound card check and consequent “alsactl store” I did in-between re-booting.

For the first time my D-Link ath9k chipped PCI card now showed a connection speed of 270mb. Usually this was only 54mb, so now in house file transfers should be a lot faster.
One thing I learned though being affected by this bug is that wifi cards have built-in “throttle-down”.  See; http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/iwconfig8.html for all the info.
What this meant for me and possibly others is that when you see network manager or iwconfig (wlan0) reporting low speeds, it may just be doing its correct job. Use 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 bit *M'  to keep at your cards top speed, or 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 bit *M auto' to use  throttle-down and save power, chip-life, and interference (replace * with your cards rated speed).

All seems good until you realise your connection speed is now very very very slow!
This is where the 'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' entry in your etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf file comes in handy. After a re-boot its back up to full speed again.

iwconfig reports “Tx excessive retries” but I strongly suspect this is caused by the connection speed increase from 54mb to 270mb. I'll test later.

I think this covers all of my confusion and problems over the past few days regarding linux-3.2.2.
I think also the reason for the confused forum threads as well. If you had WEP like me (I live out in the country by the way), time to update all the family iPods, 3DS's, Wii's and cell phones!

NB This isnt my work. I just put all the info together and tried it out. Hope its good for you too.

Edit:- 
I’ve been testing with and without the  'options ath9k nohwcrypt=1' entry in etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf 
After a few re-boots with and without this entry the internet seems to be at normal speed again.
But, and this but is very subjective, blacklisting ath9k_htc in modprobe.d/modprobe.conf seems to keep the speed up there with the best. It would be interesting for others to test this and post results.

Also, the “Tx excessive retries” do seem to be linked to the new faster speed. When throttled down to 54mb excessive retries are minimal.

Edit Edit:-
ath9k_htc is the USB driver.

Edit Edit Edit:- 
No good, It still slowed down!
By best findings after another day of perfect time wasting are as follows;
wicd with “iwconfig wlan0 power off” - This throttles down to 54mb again(!) and nothing in modprobe.d

Last edited by Glinx (2012-02-04 10:07:26)

#30 2012-02-02 16:15:02

skunkos
Website

Seems interesting, i will try to switch to WPA2.

#31 2012-02-15 16:14:51

atercor

I'm having the same problem. I have conectivity, but my downloads are at 10kb/S :S and the connection is tested from other OS and its working great.

Tested ipv6 removal and ath9k nohwcrypt and nothing...any other ideas?

#32 2012-02-15 20:51:33

bkadoctaj

atercor wrote:

I'm having the same problem. I have conectivity, but my downloads are at 10kb/S :S and the connection is tested from other OS and its working great.

Tested ipv6 removal and ath9k nohwcrypt and nothing...any other ideas?

You could downgrade your kernel, change the network to WPA/WPA2?  Are you sure this is the same issue?

Last edited by bkadoctaj (2012-02-15 20:51:59)

#33 2012-02-17 04:12:42

dojero

Similar problems, but completely different solutions here.  My fully up-to-date Arch networkmanager suddenly stopped functioning: reported that my wireless device was disconnected, then that it wasn't working.  I believe I tried all of the suggestions here and on other threads: rfkill...no effect.  ath9k hwcrypt=1...no effect (either in modprobe or in grub).  Downgraded 3.2+ kernel to 3.1+...no effect.

My system is an Asus netbook using a Atheros AR2427 wireless controller.  Networkmanager worked perfectly even after the recent upgrade to kernel 3.2+.  It just suddenly stopped after I shut down one night and then traveled to another city the next day. 

Finally, exasperated, I stopped networkmanager and installed netcfg.  Set up a profile, ran the program and immediately was back on wireless.

I think there must be a series of problems affecting ath9k dfrivers, the 3.2+ kernel, and networkmanager. 

Anyhow, for those who have tried and failed the solutions here, consider changing from networkmanager to netcfg.  Worked for me.

Board footer