You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-28 17:14:19

zyxon
Website

Connection lost after finishing a torrent download

Hi!

Everytime i finish downloading a torrent i get cut off from the internet. Every conncetion that ran while the torrent was downloading is still up, but i can't open any new ones. What this means in practice, is that after the torrent finishes I cannot open a webpage or ping, etc. I do not get a error message, just a blank page with my browser trying to load the page.  This takes about 5-10 minutes, than its back up normal again.
My router is fine since I can still use the internet with any other device  while having this error on my PC. I only have this when using Arch.

How can I fix this? I'm now trying to lower the maximum connections in my torrent client to see how that affects my problem. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

#2 2012-01-28 17:16:18

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Connection lost after finishing a torrent download

Care to share which client you are using?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-01-28 17:17:48

zyxon
Website

ewaller wrote:

Care to share which client you are using?

Sure, I'm using ktorrent, but this occured with every client I tried.

#4 2012-01-28 17:31:14

ewaller
Administrator

I am a little out of me league here, but...   After your client closes, look at the output of sudo netstat -pl --numeric-ports  and see if ports are still assigned to your client.  Be careful posting the full output of that, it can reveal a lot about a system.

What does your network architecture look like?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2012-01-28 18:00:41

zyxon
Website

ewaller wrote:

I am a little out of me league here, but...   After your client closes, look at the output of sudo netstat -pl --numeric-ports  and see if ports are still assigned to your client.  Be careful posting the full output of that, it can reveal a lot about a system.

What does your network architecture look like?

Just checked, with the maximum connections lowered to 30, I have no open ports left open for ktorrent after closing it.. I don't really understand your second question

#6 2012-01-28 18:13:29

ewaller
Administrator

As to the architecture, I was just trying to find out if you are using wired or wireless?  whether you have a local router? Can you administer that router?  whether you are behind a corporate firewall?  if you are using a DSL or cable modem?  maybe 3G or 4G wireless networks? Are you Bridged or NAT? Is this a real client or is it a VM?  etc...   
Just looking for clues.

---

#7 2012-01-28 18:22:46

zyxon
Website

Oh, ok. I am using wired, I do have a local router which I can administer. I am not behind any firewall except if my ISP has one which I am not sure about. I'm using DSL. As I said it's wired (WiFi works well even if wired is stuck). NAT, and real client.

#8 2012-01-28 18:51:48

kendallcschm

When you say you have no ports left open are you saying the connections are closed or are they all still being used by the torrent client?

PIII 512MB custom Rig running Arch+Xfce+Xfce compositer+conky
compaq 610 running Arch+Xfce+compiz+conky
compaq evo D500 Arch+xfce+conky F@H rig
IBM E-server ubuntu server edition F@H rig and an HP Proliant DL380 G4 dual CPU 6GB RAM F@H rig

#9 2012-01-29 21:07:58

zyxon
Website

Under no ports left open I mean that they no longer appear in the list of netstat.

Board footer