You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-29 13:03:06

Rage24

Folders under Computer-Nautilus

Hi all,

I tried to create shortcut folders under Computer. I was unable to create one or it won't accept any folders that I created in home when I dragged it over. I googled, but no luck.

I saw Nautilus image. It had Document folder, Music, Video, Pictures, and other essential folders under Computer. Is there a way that I could create one under Computer?

Thank you

Rage

#2 2012-01-29 18:17:51

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Folders under Computer-Nautilus

If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're describing are bookmarks. It's been a while since I used nautilus, and given GNOME's apparent vendetta against configuration options, your mileage may vary here; but you might be able to create them manually using the interface (check the menus), or you can just create ~/.gtk-bookmarks with one path per line. Like so:

file:///home/wormzy/Downloads
file:///home/wormzy/Collection
file:///home/wormzy/Pictures
file:///home/wormzy/Documents
file:///home/wormzy/Videos
file:///media/Terastore

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2012-01-29 22:09:25

PWheelsner

Hmm...not sure what the exact issue is from your post so some guesswork below!

If you want more than default folders under "Computer" then I think you're out of luck.

If you want addtional entires in the Nautilus sidebar then you could use WorMzy's suggestion below, or alternatively enter the folder you want to add in Nautilus and "Bookmarks-->Add Bookmark"

However, I guess you might be refering to the standard entries under Computer eg. the "vidoes, music, pictures" you mention...if so then that's because these standard directories are managed by xdg-user-dirs (which you probably already have installed) via configuration in $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dir (which contains a list of all the standard directories and their paths).  Gnome, unlike KDE, doesn't provide a GUI method of configuring these, and even if you create the folders manually I don't think they appear.  As far as I can see (apologies if my uninformed guesswork is entirely off base!) Arch doesn't a) create these for you when you add a user b) doesn't run xdg-user-dirs-update on each login (as some distro's do - see the freedesktop.org page - a google search should do it).

In summary, if you want this to work try loging in as your user and running "xdg-user-dirs-update", this should create the folders if they don't exist and wirte the appropriate configuration.

You may need to log out then in again...not sure.

PS.  I've run into this issue myself before and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the Arch wiki...as it affects more than just nautilus eg. tracker and gome-documents don't work without this being set up correctly I've meant to add something about it to the gome wiki page...and failed...suppose I should check it's not documented somewhere obvious first and finally get round to it if not.  EDIT - not sure if this is new or I just missed it...see the 1st section of the arch gnome wiki page for further info.

Last edited by PWheelsner (2012-01-29 22:15:44)

#4 2012-01-29 22:31:39

Rage24

Thank you for the quick reply. I am sorry that I wasn't being cleared. Your guess is correct: to add folders under Computer. I am a little tired of it, so I moved on with kde. I just installed my computers with kde. It looks so much better.

Question:

I looked into Dolphin file manager. It has the document with a pen on top of it. It looks very nice. How do I use those icons for my folders? Anywhere that I could download them?

I got this from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dolph … anager.png

Folders within places.

I am enjoying Arch Linux very much. Freedom to choose your DE.

Rage

Last edited by Rage24 (2012-01-29 22:32:08)

#5 2012-01-29 23:48:32

PWheelsner

If you're looking to change the folder icons in dolphin you can right-click the folder, select 'Properites', then left-click the icon that is displayed under the 'General' Tab. (the icons in the screenshot including the folder with pen should be installed with the default kde oxygen icons, i imagine your kde install pulled these in also, so you probably have them).

I'm afraid I'm not sure if the places icons use the folder icon from the main view or not...don't have kde installed at present. I image the default list of places icons uses he aformentioned xdg defaults (so an xdg-user-dirs-update might be worthwhile anyway).

You can change the icons for bookmarked folders (which can be added under placed simply by drag-and-drop )by right clicking the bookmark in the left panel in a similar way.

Last edited by PWheelsner (2012-01-29 23:50:42)

#6 2012-01-29 23:49:38

cfr

You can install different icon themes in system settings (application appearance -> icons). Or you can download specific icons and apply them to the folders (secondary click in Dolphin -> properties -> click on icon to change).

Edit: beaten to it!

I'm not sure about "default places". I only had: Root, my home, mounted volumes, bluetooth. (No Documents, Pictures etc. - those I added the equivalents of.)

If you change the icon before adding it, the custom icon seems to go with it. If you change it after adding it to places, you have to do it twice - once for the bookmark and once for the main view of the folder. At least, that's how it seems to work here.

Last edited by cfr (2012-01-29 23:54:10)

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer