You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 17:37:04

docsaimname

All mounting stuck read-only

Hello All,
My current arch build has been full of tiny problems since I jumped back from Debian about 3 weeks ago; most have been small and manageable like inconsistent network connectivity, but I currently am having a heck of a time even trying to maintain basic file management.  I'm trying to back up my system to a thumbdrive so I may attempt to reflash arch, and hopefully apply all the solutions I have created for the tiny problems.  My current issue is that no matter what I mount, terminal or through udev / the KDE automount utilities, every filesystem is being created as read only. My mount and media partitons are forcing read only, whether accessed from root or my other user accounts.  To my knowledge all permissions and groups are enabled, and I've tried chmod (though my be applying it wrong since I typically only use it for applying execution parameters) and chown for all various directories.

[root@reddex ~]# mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /media/01
mount: warning: /media/01 seems to be mounted read-only.

or mounting other volumes like external drives or my 16gb thumbdrive has provided numerous instances of this error.

[root@reddex Reddex.Backup]# mv /home/*user*/Desktop/programs /media/Reddex.Backup/programs
mv: cannot create regular file `programs': Read-only file system

At the moment I really just want to cut losses and reflash the system, but I can't get passed this read only restrictions.  The only true means I have at the moment to move files from my linux system is webservers like dropbox...

#2 2012-02-04 18:07:32

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: All mounting stuck read-only

Also, for rw on the ntfs mount you need ntfs-3g

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2012-02-04 18:07:46)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2012-02-05 14:17:05

yaffare

Re: All mounting stuck read-only

add your user to groups "storage" and "optical". just type "groups" to see which groups you already have.
to add do this:

gpasswd -a $USERNAME storage
gpasswd -a $USERNAME optical 

NTFS:
instal ntfs-3g as Mr.Elendig said and put users group permission to /media.
also check that your user is in group "users"  (check with the command "groups")

sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g
sudo chown root:users /media
sudo chmod 775 /media
gpasswd -a $USERNAME users
groups

permissions:
create this file if not exists

sudo touch /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/10-udisks.pkla

then edit this file and put that stuff in

sudo nano /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/10-udisks.pkla
[Storage Permissions]
Identity=unix-group:storage
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal;org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-unmount-others;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown
ResultAny=yes
ResultActive=yes
ResultInactive=yes

relogin or reboot your pc to be safe.
then just try the auto-mount feature in dolphin, by just clicking on the drive.

systemd is like pacman. enjoys eating up stuff.

Board footer