You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-04 18:09:08

bolshevik

[SOLVED] cpufreq modules fail to load and boot stalls

Every time I boot up the computer I get this error :

Loading user-specified modules [FAIL]
INTCAMT : cannot register miscdev on minor=130 (err=-16)
mei : unable to register watchdog device
[udev] worker 169 timeout, kill it

The modules I'm trying to load are acpi-cpufreq cpufreq-performance cpufreq-ondemand and cpufreq-conservative. Removing them from rc.conf effectively removes the [fail] at user specified modules, but does nothing for the error that comes immediately afterwards. I looked into the cpufreq wiki page and it seems a new tool called cpupower now exists. Should I try to use that instead or does it have nothing to do with my problem?

Last edited by bolshevik (2012-02-04 23:06:22)

#2 2012-02-04 18:22:47

Gusar

Re: [SOLVED] cpufreq modules fail to load and boot stalls

Those messages are all unrelated, they belong to different things. To go one by one:

- Loading modules shows FAIL, because the performance governor is now part of the kernel instead of being a module. Remove it from rc.conf. Just that one, keep the other cpufreq stuff there.

- The mei message you can ignore. But to explain why it's there, the kernel can only have one watchdog, and one is already loaded (iTCO_wdt), so the mei watchdog fails. The mei module still does other stuff besides being a watchdog (don't ask me what that other stuff is though, I don't think anyone here knows smile). If the error message really really bothers you, you can blacklist the iTCO_wdt module.

- The udev timeout is this: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=134012 <-- read that thread, use the workarounds described there on the offending module (most likely the one for the wireless card).

#3 2012-02-04 23:05:17

bolshevik

Re: [SOLVED] cpufreq modules fail to load and boot stalls

Very nice. All problems are solved. Much appreciated.

Board footer