You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-06 19:54:51

toonces

[SOLVED] Gdm doesnt start after update

Hi,
after a bigger update arch can't load the gdm anymore. It tries a few times, and gives me:

gdm-binary[461]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 2.704609 seconds
[similar messages with different time values a few times]
gdm-binary[461]:WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors

So I checked the X server log but couldn't find any problems (I only skimmed through it and grep'd for "EE" though), nor could I find anything in the gdm logs.

I tried starting with xdm, which yielded similar results. Starting with slim let me log in as a user (into my WM openbox). But I could only open the rootmenu via rightclick and couldn't open any applications. Same came up when starting into runlevel 3 and using startx.
Starting xfce4 manually didn't work at all, it told me:

xfce4-session:error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object: No such file or directory

I looked if i had this library installed (i had, the latest version) and reinstalled it, nothing changed.

Sadly, this is as far as my arch problem-solving skills go. Does anyone have an idea?
Thank you for any help.

Relevant info: Arch Linux 3.2.4-1-ARCH (32bit), Nvidia 9500GT graphic card with proprietary driver.
I had display manager issues before, I couldn't get slim to run without gdm installed, but gdm used to work flawlessly.

SOLVED:

wonder wrote:

to fix your problem, check pacman -Qs cairo and if cairo-ubuntu or cairo-xcb or other cairo-* variant is in the list, you have to rebuild it.

Last edited by toonces (2012-02-07 12:08:03)

#2 2012-02-06 20:00:54

Varg

Re: [SOLVED] Gdm doesnt start after update

Did you do a full update ? Libpng updated, latest version of that library is libpng15.
Check the news for more info.

#3 2012-02-06 20:15:59

toonces

I'm gonna check again, but I did pacman -Syyuf, and all my repos are up to date. I even changed mirrors a few times in the pacman.d/mirrorlist to be sure.

#4 2012-02-06 20:24:01

wonder
Developer
Website

toonces wrote:

I'm gonna check again, but I did pacman -Syyuf, and all my repos are up to date. I even changed mirrors a few times in the pacman.d/mirrorlist to be sure.

why on earth are you doing -Syuf? YES, i'm talking about adding -f along with -u. Using this combo you are lickly to lose files from your system.

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2012-02-06 20:34:50

toonces

wonder wrote:
toonces wrote:

why on earth are you doing -Syuf? YES, i'm talking about adding -f along with -u. Using this combo you are lickly to lose files from your system.

Aah, I thought something like that would come up. As you can guess, I'm still an Arch (and Linux) beginner, so please forgive my noobishness.
I hope this wasnt the cause of my problem, and I will keep in mind what you said.

#6 2012-02-06 20:44:17

wonder
Developer
Website

to fix your problem, check pacman -Qs cairo and if cairo-ubuntu or cairo-xcb or other cairo-* variant is in the list, you have to rebuild it.

to see if -f affected you in any way, do pacman -Qk and reinstall all packages that have missing files.

Last edited by wonder (2012-02-06 20:52:53)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#7 2012-02-07 03:55:06

tt*

wonder wrote:

thanks, this solved my problem. I was also getting a

xfce4-session:error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object: No such file or directory

error.

#8 2012-02-07 12:04:23

toonces

wonder wrote:

to see if -f affected you in any way, do pacman -Qk and reinstall all packages that have missing files.

Thank you very much, that worked!
Was my wrongdoing with -f the cause of the problem? I didn't have any missing files (after fix).
Or is this just a common updating problem?

Last edited by toonces (2012-02-07 12:09:32)

#9 2012-02-07 17:14:50

Paanini
Website

Hi, I've been having the same problem!

I didn't do a full system upgrade as internet restrictions don't allow to me to download more than 300MB/day. I just upgraded firefox, vlc and handbrake, as far as I can remember.

I've been having the same problem and I tried rebuilding cairo-ubuntu by downloading the tar.gz file from the AUR and using

makepkg -s

and

sudo pacman -U <package name> 

to install it again. I rebooted but the problem still persists. Is there anything I've missed?

Find me on    :     Twitter     Tumblr     Blogger

Board footer