You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-10 01:23:13

jiewmeng

Partitioning & Packages Dependencies

I am new to Arch, trying to install it on Virtual Box to see how its like.

For partitioning, I noticed the 1st option (auto partition) will create a 100MB (boot partition), swap, /home and /. Currently using Ubuntu with 3 partitions only / (contains /home too) swap and windows 7 partition. Is there a need to separate / and /home?

Also when I try doing it the manual way, I get some message about needing to prepare partitions first before continuing. I just created partitions and did "write" (I think to partition table). What am I missing here?

Then I for package group, I selected gnome (I suppose it means the gnome 3 shell) and the defaults (base if I don't remember wrong) then for packages, nothing. I was thinking I just need the base system with GUI (GNOME3) then I can install the rest later. But I got

oeqjk.png

I thought the package manager will install dependencies too? What do I need to fix these then?

Computer Science Student, Web Developer

#2 2012-02-10 01:46:58

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Partitioning & Packages Dependencies

I can imagine trying to get all that with the installation would be tricky.  I'd suggest just doing the base install, then (following the beginners guide) do a full update, install and test X, then - and only then - install gnome.

It may seem easier to do it all at once, but it isn't.  There may be some troubleshooting, or at least customization, that must be done at each step; if you take small steps you know exactly what needs to be trouble-shot and you can progress in more manageable steps.

As for partitioning there are probably various pros and cons of different partitioning schemes, but / + home on the same partition should work fine.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer