You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-11 12:21:02

Unia
Website

Identifing temperature outputs

Hello,

I wanted to get a nice temperature reading in conky. In the past, I have always used acpi -t in the terminal to quickly display temperatures. I don't remember where I found it, but I always thought that its first output was my CPU and second was my GPU. Here's the output:

┌─[jente@lappy ~][13:13:21] 
└─■ acpi -t
Thermal 0: ok, 35.0 degrees C
Thermal 1: ok, 46.0 degrees C

To display temperatures in conky, I use the hwmon variable. That, however, displays just this for CPU:

${hwmon 0 temp 1}°C -> 46°C

And lastly, I use aticonfig -odgt to display temps of my GPU:

[root@lappy ~]# aticonfig --odgt

Default Adapter - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series 
                  Sensor 0: Temperature - 48.50 C

Now, the hwmon variable in conky only displays 46°C and that's the only thing I can get out of hwmon, as it's the only thing it finds:

[root@lappy ~]# ls /sys/class/hwmon
hwmon0
[root@lappy ~]# ls /sys/class/hwmon/hwmon0
name  power  subsystem	temp1_crit  temp1_input  temp2_crit  temp2_input  uevent

Of course, this matches the second output of acpi -t, but now I have always thought that that second one was my GPU. This however doesn't correspend with aticonfig, but I guess I was wrong assuming that it the second output was my GPU.

The remaining question is, what is the first output of acpi -t?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#2 2012-02-11 18:24:54

Unia
Website

Re: Identifing temperature outputs

Could it be that acpi's first output is battery temp? My bios doesn't list any temperatures so I can't check it against something...

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

Board footer