You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-12 02:26:59

Mogombus

LiveCD Install bails to [ramfs /]# - boot device didn't show up

have a x86 based server w/SCSI HD and SCSI DVD drive.
Install from LiveCD quits with following.

Waiting 30 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-label/ARCH_201108
ERROR: boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds
   Falling back to interactive prompt
   You can try to fix the problem manually, logout when you are finished
sh: can't access tty; job contro turned off
[ramfs /]#

I need the Arch LiveCD install to work from SCSI DVD drive.  I've got a dozen servers just like this one fielded (industrial setting) and have to provide a CD/DVD so users can re-install in the field if necessary.
Will I have to add a driver of some sort to the boot kernel?  Or is my problem something else?

I got LiveCD install to work by hooking up a IDE DVD drive.  Then once I boot Arch from HD it sees and mounts my SCSI DVD -- only trying to install from SCSI DVD no love.

When LiveCD bails out, I do a:

[ramfs /]#  lsmod | grep sr_mod
sr_mod        14951     0
cdrom          36329     1   sr_mod
scsi_mod    131482    7   sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata,mptspi,mptscsih,scsi_transport_spi

[ramfs /]#  lsmod | grep scsi
mptscsih                  20040   1   mptspi
mptbase                  63459    2   mptspi,pmtscsih
scsi_transport_spi    20059    1   mptspi
scsi_mod                131482   7   sg,sr_mod,sd_mod,libata,mptspi,mptscsih,scsi_stransport_spi

#2 2012-02-12 07:00:33

DSpider

Re: LiveCD Install bails to [ramfs /]# - boot device didn't show up

Ah, the famous 30 second error... It tries to find the media labelled "ARCH_201108", doesn't, and drops to $ramfs. It's a very old issue and I hope that the Arch devs don't continue using labels for the official 2012 release (kinda like Archboot does it).

Anyway, you're using the i686 version. Ok. How was the DVD written? Does it have the "ARCH_201108" label? Because AFAIK, SYSLINUX (the bootloader that is installed on the iso) only supports standard ISO 9660, not Rock Ridge or Joliet.

So I'm gonna ask again, how was the DVD written? As a data disc (which would require you to manually add the label) or did you simply choose the .iso file (which should automatically lift the label from the iso) ? Which program did you use?

Last edited by DSpider (2012-02-12 07:08:43)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-02-12 21:08:32

Mogombus

Thanks DSpider -
I use ImgBurn as my optical R/W program on my W7 machine. 
Looks like ImgBurn defaults to "Joliet" and "UDF" check boxes checked, but ISO 9660 is in the same group of choices and was NOT checked. 
I will give it a try using ISO 9660.  I'm away from my shop until next Friday, I will let you know how it turns out when I get back and can try.
ImgBurn did show the .iso image has label "ARCH_201108", I did get as far as checking that, but I had no clue about AFAIK needing ISO 9660, until now!  Thanks!

#4 2012-02-13 07:50:08

DSpider

As long as you're using Windows to write them (and for dozens of servers, on top of that) you may as well use a USB stick:

Boot the entire ISO from RAM

Much faster, IMO. Because once the ISO is loaded into RAM you can remove the USB stick and plug it into the next computer. I don't think they even make 1 GB flash drives anymore but 2-4 GB drives are dirt cheap now, something like 3-5€. I haven't used a CD/DVD in 5 years.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-03-12 23:20:16)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#5 2012-02-17 19:54:00

Mogombus

I will have a go at USB install.  I will have to make a Live CD install too for delivery. These servers are on a ship, and USN forbids USB flash drives.  I need to leave a copy of the install on the ships incase sailors have to reinstall in a pinch, so CD or DVD is required.

#6 2012-02-17 20:12:49

DSpider

They forbid USB flash drives but they have an internet connection? That's just... wow.

#7 2012-02-17 21:29:59

Mogombus

No internet connection, but a highly specialized, well, uh lets just say it's a DoD thang ...

#8 2012-02-17 21:38:28

DSpider

No internet connection?? And you say these are servers? And dozens of servers on top of that? Wait... DoD - Department of Defense? The hell... Why are you using Arch then? You *do* know that not all packages are signed, right?

#9 2012-02-17 21:45:56

djgera
Developer
Website

Try with latest installation media (testbuilds) maybe some driver is broken for your setup in older Linux and fixed in newer Linux-3.2. Post complete dmesg.

PS: If you want run all media in ram just use copytotam=y boot option. Do not use memdisk is the most discourage method.

#10 2012-02-23 19:38:13

Mogombus

djgera - thanks (testbuilds) archlinux-2012.02.22_04-00-01-core-x86_64.iso fixes this problem.  No timeout detecting boot device (DVD drive) and LiveCD boots all the way!

Board footer