You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-27 04:56:21

jlowell

Changing Text Font In Aterm

I'm trying to configure Aterm to get it out of its default character. It's billed as a replacement for xterm and a bit more configurable but I've had a heck of a time trying to translate the man page instructions into something concrete.

Right now I'm controlling its basic presentation through xfwm4 menu settings in ~/.xfce4/menu.xml. There, I'm able to start it with the background, foreground and cursor colors I want via options, i.e. -fg Black -bg Gray, etc. Attempts to change the text font using -fn and naming an installed font don't work, however. The program simply fails to open in those circumstances. What fonts are available to me in Aterm anyway? The resource files the man page mentions don't seem to exist.

jlowell

#2 2003-09-27 05:39:50

netkrash

Re: Changing Text Font In Aterm

uhmmm

pacman -S artwiz-fonts

aterm -fn anorexia -rv

tongue

GNU/Linux: Share & Enjoy!

#3 2003-09-27 07:30:09

jlowell

netkrash,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

I have ttf-ms-fonts and ttf-bitstream-vera on this machine right now.  But when I run

aterm -fn verdana

I get  a new terminal and an error message to the effect that verdana can't be loaded. Truthfully, I can't imagine that it would be any different if I were to install and try to activate the artwiz font you suggest. And looking for a solution in the aterm man pages is like trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone. Like so many of them, its written for the narrow circle of people that write programs like this and not for the typical user. I mean I'm willing to work hard to get something the way I want it but I'm not willing to throw out endless hours trying to fathom the unfathomable.

For some reason aterm is not locating the fonts I have installed.  Might you have any idea why?

jlowell

#4 2003-09-27 08:54:08

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

A tip for xfce4: set and export the TERMCMD parameter:

TERMCMD=aterm -geometry 110x30 -sb -sr -trsb -sl 1000 ...

Each time xfce4 tries to open a default terminal, it will use this paramter. Same thing, if you run 'xfterm4'.

No need to modify menu.xml, or properties from the panel, just make sur TERMCMD is set before starting xfce4 wink

#5 2003-09-27 15:25:55

netkrash

jlowell wrote:

netkrash,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate it.

I have ttf-ms-fonts and ttf-bitstream-vera on this machine right now.  But when I run

aterm -fn verdana

I get  a new terminal and an error message to the effect that verdana can't be loaded. Truthfully, I can't imagine that it would be any different if I were to install and try to activate the artwiz font you suggest. And looking for a solution in the aterm man pages is like trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone. Like so many of them, its written for the narrow circle of people that write programs like this and not for the typical user. I mean I'm willing to work hard to get something the way I want it but I'm not willing to throw endless hours trying to fathom the unfathomable.

For some reason aterm is not locating the fonts I have installed.  Might you have any idea why?

jlowell

Actually aterm doesn't support TTF fonts.. artwiz-fonts are .pcf that type of font is supported by aterm.

i think there are no plans to support ttf fonts in aterm.

#6 2003-09-27 19:35:02

jlowell

orelien,

Let's make sure I'm understanding you now. I should run

TERMCMD=aterm geometry 110x30 -sb -sr -trsb -sl 1000 ...
export

Is TERMCMD some kind of environmental variable? If so, wouldn't it have to be set prior to my running startx each time? Precisely how does setting TERMCMD help me here, does it permit ones configuring aterm from the command line in a more reliable way than I can at present ? I'm afraid I'm a little at sea in this connection. I understand that this should be done in place of using the settings in ~/.xfce/menu, but I can't see how this allows me to, say, load fonts or set foreground or background colors. I'm concerned that I may be missing your meaning altogether.

jlowell

#7 2003-09-27 19:41:52

jlowell

netkrash,

Interesting that aterm doesn't support true type fonts. There goes that idea! smile

I'll install the artwiz fonts and try them. Any others you might recommend besides anorexia? Not that I object to anorexia, its just that I'm unfamiliar with the range of choices that would be available to me with this type of font.

Incidently, will I need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config in any way to enable these fonts? If so how?

jlowell

#8 2003-09-28 02:34:08

netkrash

yes, this is my XF86Config (file section)

Section "Files"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/artwiz-fonts"  # <-- there
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttf-ms-fonts"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
        FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/util"
EndSection

just do a pacman -Ql artwiz-fonts and take a look smile

#9 2003-09-28 15:10:59

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

jlowell:

# export TERMCMD="aterm -fn verdana -other_options_you_need"
# startx

Then each time you open a terminal in xfce4 (i.e /opt/xfce4/bin/xfterm4) it will use the options defined in $TERMCMD.

Don't hesitate to refer to  the script xfterm4 for more details.

#10 2003-09-28 15:46:14

jlowell

orelien,

Many thanks for addressing my confusion. I'm following you now.

If I may trouble you with a couple of details: If ever I should desire to restore the default settings, am I right to assume that

export TERMCMD="aterm default"

would do that? Further, netkrash mentions above that aterm does not support true type fonts. Would making the configurations changes I desire via export somehow force the use of these fonts or is that simply wishful thinking? I have these fonts installed.

Again, I appreciate your follow-up.

jlowell

#11 2003-09-28 21:35:59

orelien
Forum Fellow
Website

To restore default settings:

export TERMCMD=""

#12 2004-08-27 14:53:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

when i use many of the artwiz fonts in aterm i get huge spaces between each of the letters in text - anyone know why?

#13 2004-09-22 17:41:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

when i use many of the artwiz fonts in aterm i get huge spaces between each of the letters in text - anyone know why?

I am assuming here, but if aterm only supports ascii, or single-width character sets, and the artwiz fonts are unicode, or double-width character sets, aterm could render each double-wise char as two characters... making a nice big fat empty space with each letter.

I cannot recall if it is aterm or xterm, but there are two options for fonts: "-fn" for normal X fonts, and "-fa" for anti-aliased (truetype/freetype) fonts.... try -fa for artwiz

#14 2005-02-14 18:08:21

DJayC

Can the Artwiz fonts be resized?  I noticed if I select them for any type of User Interface stuff (in XFCE4) I can't resize them.. I can change the point size, but the letters stay the same size regardless of what I set the font size to.

#15 2005-02-19 07:53:47

skoal
Website

I just recently used "aterm".  From what I remember, there is no "-fa", but you can use "-fn <complete -print from xfontsel>".  TTF-monospace fonts are supported I believe.  I either passed it to the "-fn" switch or dropped it in my "~.Xdefaults" file: "aterm*font:-*-andale mono-*-*-*-*-12-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"

I thought that aterm had a config file somewhere where you can set up the "1-4" font selections.  Or am I confusing that with "Eterm"?  Either way, I thought I got TTF working with aterm.  "aterm" in fluxbox with no window decor, gradient filled translucency and shadow effect sure was perty...

One weird thing tho, I seem to recall having to use "+sb" (not -sb) to turn off that damn annoying scrollbar.  Oh yeah, one other thing for eye candy in "aterm", you can use "light" prefixed to your colors to get more variance.  For example, "light yellow", "light grey", etc.

Board footer