You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-16 03:57:40

zeroinfiniti

Can't get video driver out of fallback mode.

Hi,

I'm running Arch under VMWare Workstation and all seems to be going well except the video driver. Its stuck in fallback mode.

I've looked all over the forum and wiki trying to find an answer, but its not clear exactly what I have to do to fix the issue.

I've tried a couple of things so far.

- removing every video driver other than the VMWare one
- specifiying to load vmware in rc.conf as a startup daemon
- reinstalling the video driver

I think I would need to rebuild the package/kernel, but I am totally confused by how the wiki says to do that.

I have no idea what commands I need to execute to pull logs from my system. Just tell me what they are and I'll post them.

Thanks in Advance,

zeroinfiniti

#2 2012-02-16 03:59:15

zeroinfiniti

Re: Can't get video driver out of fallback mode.

Also, just to clarify. The video driver has ONLY ever run in fallback mode. I wish to get it working normally.

#3 2012-02-16 05:44:23

zeroinfiniti

I just tried installing xfce4, but I can't tell if the driver is working properly on it. Previously I was using Gnome, and I prefer it.

Any help is much appreciated.

#4 2012-02-16 13:23:14

zeroinfiniti

Update, decided to install ubuntu to see if the issue was isolated to Arch. It turns out that it is. On ubuntu the system is reporting that the graphics are in standard mode rather than fallback. My issue may be that I can't get VMware tools to install properly in Arch.

Someone please help!

#5 2012-02-16 15:07:03

DSpider

Gnome 3 reports it, doesn't it? You should've specified in the title that it's Gnome 3 and VMware-related.

I played a little with VirtualBox and a fresh Arch i686 install and the same thing happened. But I just couldn't be bothered to try and fix it, as I very much dislike Gnome 3.

Did you check out the VMware wiki page yet?

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-02-17 10:30:13

zeroinfiniti

Yeah, I have seen the VMware page. Everything is working in Arch, but Gnome 3 is reporting that the graphics experience is "Fallback", where as in my ubuntu install it reports "Standard". For this reason, that page is irrelevant.

I'd still like to know how to resolve the issue, for future reference. I've given up with trying to get it working in WMware and now I'm trying a dual boot of Windows 7 and Arch. I just figured that if its not going to work in a virtual machine then it has to work if Arch is running natively. I'm not interested in VirtualBox as it has no hardware acceleration support at this present time. Plus I just know VMware Workstation better.

Board footer